1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What gauge is too thick for an E string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by santucci218, Sep 6, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Say on a 34 inch scale, Fender Jazz. What is the thickest gauge you can have for an E? with it still being practical. I mean, a .130 might go to an e, but would probably rip the neck off, haha.

2. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Why are you looking for the thickest E string, or why do you ask?

Find something that allows for playability and consistent feel across all the strings. Don't forget the amp's/cab's ability to boost and amplify/project signal. Oh, and PA/sound reinforcement as well...

3. 110

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I like really thick strings. I used to use D'addario 50-105's but they still arent giving the tension and feel that i want exactly.

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    This is probably pretty close to being correct.

I'd bet a .130 would break before you could tune it all the way up to an E, not to mention that it could potentially cause some serious twist in the bass' neck.

Just remember, the thicker the string, the more tension it takes to get it up to a given pitch. If you go with some really heavy string that isn't traditionally used for an E, you'd better make sure that your other strings are thicker as well to avoid neck twists.

Also, you'd almost definitely need a setup if you're going into the 130-ish range.

I'd try some 115s first, then go up to 120s and see what happens.

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    My bass will just implode. Anyways, i do setups at a music store, so no problem there.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    My main bass uses a .115 gauge E string. :)

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Where do you get them? and what gauge are the other strings?

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    065-.075-.100-.115

Theyre Rotosound Trubass 88s.

My main problem with strings is the the lower you go, the worse the sound gets. I find most E strings unplayable since their tension is too low. This because someone, somewhere along the line, decided that thicker strings should have lower tension than higher ones.

My only option, usually, is to buy strings with a high enough tension where it doesn't matter.

The Trubass strings aren't particularly taught, but they sound and feel nice enough where I don't care.

I'm pretty sure SIT strings makes custom gauges, but don't quote me on that.

kkaarrll likes this.
  10. .8?

that might be a lil big :ninja:

11. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I used a custom guage set of 130's for a long time. String never broke and never harmed the neck.

12. You do setups for a music store, it should be easy to order them through work.

13. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Tapewound strings have very heavy gauges, but very low tension.

The wrap takes up much of that diameter; there's probably a .095 or .100 string under that E string's wrap.