1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What gear do punks use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Maybe it's because most punks aren't gearheads, but I cannot for the life of me find good information on what a lot of my favorite punk bands play out of (either guitar or bass).

I'm really most curious in Brett Gurewitz's setup and Greg Ginn's setup circa Damaged album. Any help would be appreciated, and if anybody else wants to share any info on some punk rockers' gear, be it guitar or bass, please do.

2. What Gear Do Punks Use?

Anything they can get their hands on.

3. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    Greg Ginn is a gear head, SST stands for "solid state technology"... he worked on amps and such. Also, Black Flag toured with there own PA so that they could have consistent live sound at shows. So obviously some thought went into the sound. Some of the book Henry Rollins wrote "Get in the van" talks about the live sound they used and has some good photos of the back line. Might not be a lot of interviews on the topic but i am sure a google search of images might turn up some photos.

4. ispunk

ispunk

Aug 26, 2010
    Greg always uses SS amps. I read a few years ago which one he used. Damaged-era he was playing a Dan Armstrong lucite guitar.

5. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    Also, Chuck Dukowski used mostly late 70's Fender p basses. Greg Ginn seems to have used a clear ampeg(?) guitar. Some photos of Dez i have seen he was playing a Gibson Sonex 180. I am guessing they all used solid state amps. I have seen photos of Chuck using a Acoustic head.

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Switchblades

7. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    For bass player punks? Ampeg. Any. I used used a V-4 (guitar amp - not the V4B), with a 2 X 15 cab, for some serious clank with a Gibson EB-3. Check it out.

8. BINGO!

9. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1, this is what I recall. I saw Black Flag twice, but don't remember what amps Ginn used. Kira used a Ric when I saw her.

Mike Watt has migrated over the years from SVTs to GK to Eden (which he's been using for a long time now). Although he still uses tube amps with the Stooges, since they have roadies.

10. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    P-Bass... Amp of some sort... Cable... Patches with band logos... Fin.

11. White/Rosewood/Black PG Fender P-Bass with Fender flats and a pick.
    Acoustic 360 with as many Acoustic cabs as you can find
    Heroin

Instant punk tone!

:D

12. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    No heroin if you're in a straight edge band... or value your life at all ;)

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wouldn't a true punk not care at all about whatever everyone else is doing/using/thinking and just do whatever the hell they want? :confused:

:bag:

14. Most punks neglect to read the OP and post about just using anything because it's not punk to care how you sound.

On topic, I read that Greg Ginn got his distortion around that period by overloading the desk channel, and the bass was done through a PA or something, but I can't for the life of me remember where I read it or if it's true or not. Can't help with Brett, sorry.

15. It's funny because as a punk rocker...well, I am getting old now...I have always been broke or am in the process of being broke. I don't understand how some of these guys have $2000 amps, $1000 cabs, and $1500 basses. I am more interested in scrounging up $2.50 to buy some Four Loko Orange. Yes, Orange is the best flavor.

I mean, I am still using my $300 Squier from 14 years ago. I guess some punks got money, I never did. I just got bills. As for what signed bands that make money use, It all depends on the endorsements. Fat Mike used Fender exclusively until Danolectro gave him a deal. Money talks and most people use whatever they get for free.

That being said, Ampeg is probably the single largest company utilized by "punk" bass players. Just look at their artist page. For Guitar, It's almost always Marshall. I know the guys from NOFX/Pennywise used Mesa Boogie Triple Recs for years Thats how a lot of the Fat Wreck Chords bands of the 90's had the consistent guitar tone.

Fender Jazz/P basses, Ampeg amps/cabs, Marshall amps/cabs, Gibson LP, and Fender strat. This is what most punk bands are playing. Not all, just most.

16. I remember reading ten years ago in some guitar mag that Pennywise started using Mesa heads and Marshall Cabs because that's what Metallica used at the time and they really liked the tone. And I'm sure I read on here Fat Mike moved to Dano because they're lighter and he has a bad back?

17. ...Convieniently. Also, there are better light weight basses for millionaire punk rockers. :ninja:

18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Whatever works. The bigger concern for the typical punk bassist (speaking as a former one) is where s/he will sleep while on tour.

19. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    On Saturday I went to a local punk/hardcore show. Here is my gear report:

Band 1: Les Paul Studio through Peavey Windsor + Peavey 215 cab, no bassist

Band 2: Les Paul Standard through Mesa Mark Five + Mesa 412 Cab, EBMM through Ampeg V4 + Ampeg 810, Les Paul SG through Mesa Dual Rec + Mesa 412

Band 3: ESP Eclipse through Mesa Dual Rec + Mesa 412 cab, Epi Thunderbird through I forget, Gibson Les Paul Custom through Peavey something + Peavey 215

Band 4: Fender Jazz through very vintage Ampeg SVT + old ampeg 810, Les Paul Standard through Mesa Dual Rec + Mesa 412 cab, Les Paul Studio through orange head + bogner cab?

Anyway...this was my first local punk show in about 5 years and I couldn't believe the amount of professional grade, expensive equipment in the room. Back when I was a whippersnapper none of us could afford that stuff!

20. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Sheesh! When I think "punk amps," I don't think "Mesa."

Back inna day I knew guys who'd subsist on ramen and fried bologna so they could scrimp and save for a Marshall 1/2 stack. SVT was the gold standard for bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021