Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what gives?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lowner, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I have always been slammed for not replying to my own posts. So what. Im just a reserved person. I don't say much. Im not doing it to troll or whatever.
    Why is it such a big deal that i reply to my own posts ? Im just posting about things that i experience in my playing. I think its rude to post that.
    i am seriously thinking of leaving this forum. I was verbally abused by my ex and i left. I wont tolerate that anymore.

If anyond has a legit reason why i should stay otherwise im gone.

2. Selta

Selta Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  3. Register_To_Disable

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its happened for so long and so often that it's actually become a TB term: You've been Lownered.

Why is it a big deal? Because people have put forth the time and effort to actually reply, to be thoughtful in providing advice or input...Having a one-way conversation sucks.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I thought, hey I can leave, I can leave
    Oh but now I know that I was wrong
    'Cause I missed you
    Yeah, I missed you

-Mike

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    With an attitude like that I dont think youre going to have too many people asking you to stick around.

Ive never made a comment as to you posting a thread and then not replying, and I'll admit that I have seen it happen. A phrase has even been coined in your name. The act of starting a thread and then not replying in it has colliquially been referred to as being "Lownered". If that upsets you, Im afraid youre going to need to grow some thicker skin, as I hardly see how that constitutes abuse. Now, if someone is harassing you over it, thats another story, and you should take it up with the mods.

Why is it such a big deal that you reply to your posts? Essentially, its not, but some people are going to wonder why when they notice the repeated behavior. If you post a thread on any given subject that gets the ball rolling. Other people are going to respond to your post with advice, a useless comment, some insight, or what have you. When you fail to respond again it sets off in peoples minds the idea that they have been duped. Its kind of like the equivalent of you starting a conversation amongst a group of people, and then simply walking away once youve said your piece.

Im sure people find that rude (not me personally).

There, Ive said my piece, not as an attack on you or anything, but rather in hope of giving you a little insight in regards to the situation that you posted.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'd try to engage you in discussion on this topic, but history tells us you won't reply.

See ya.

Btw, you wanna talk about rude? Asking people to opine on your thoughts, then not even dignifying their efforts with a simple reply or engagement in the discussion you created is rude.

8. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    Uh oh,

Quick some one dial Whine-one-one!!

We need a WAAHmbulance!!

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    How depressingly ironic that after spending a few hours today reading some of Hitchens finest moments, I then stumble across this at the end of the day.

The two ends of the literacy spectrum in one day.

10. Don't do it Lownah! Don't do it meh boy!

11. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    COLORADO
    what are the odds that the OP is going to post again in this thread?

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Are you going to lowner this thread too?

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Based on previous tendencies, not likely. Unless the OP is trying to change the trend...

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Fun fact: a quick search shows that 'lownered' was first used in 2007, with about 3 pages of threads with the term. It's been around for nearly 5 years! :)

15. I suppose I do that to an extent also. If I ask a question, I do go back and read the replies but, honestly, TB is a big place and I bounce in and out of threads all the time. I'm not sure I provide enough replies to my own threads but I don't consider it a federal offense. I figure if I start a thread, the last thing everybody wants is to sit around reading MORE of MY own opinions. It's a conversation, and interaction--between EVERYBODY who wants to reply. It's the Internet. I really enjoy TB but I have a real life too. One stupid thing that I've done (a few times actually) is to forget to subscribe to my own thread...then I can't seem to find it again. That always make it hard to post timely replies.

I'm not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape about it. Just do what you want to do. Read or don't, reply or don't, stay or don't. I don't mean to sound rude, but the reality is that I don't know you. You're a username on TB to me. If you actually leave the forum, I probably won't notice. If you really want to deprive yourself of TB and punish yourself, then I guess you can leave TB. I'm afraid YOU are the only one who's going to notice.

...like I said, TB is a BIG place.

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Leave, or not. That's up to you. No one is making you stay. We each have our own reasons to spend time here. No matter what your choice, rest assured, that "lownered" will live on in the lexicon of TB alongside "carrots" and :atoz:.

17. Why is "lownered" so hilarious? I'm just laughing my butt off over here :D.