What happened to Mesa Boogie cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I seem to remember a plethora of options available from MB but when I just went to their site it shows a total of 5 cabs called "Subway Series". What happened to the 8x10 & 6x10 cabs? Their best feature IMO was the "Road Ready" versions, I can't believe they stopped making the RR series and the bigger sizes, I wonder what happened?

MattZilla, scottm, Auspuff and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Those were last-century models. I'm sure you can find them, used, in this century.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IIRC they were bought out by Gibson and streamlined their offerings as a result. Or it could have just been the purchase and strategy happening at the same time coincidentally. Or I could not be remembering right.

4. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Once upon a time there was ROCK! ROCK! reigned supreme. Then came pop?
    pop? became king.
    Also, in ear monitors and ampless bands.

Long story short, there's very little market for 160 lb cabs these days.
    I hear great things about the Mesa Boogie Subway series. Rumor has it you can get a 215 which weighs 62 lbs and it can play ROCK!

MCF, BrentSimons, MattZilla and 37 others like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I’m sure it’s a reasonable business decision. How many large cabs do you think they would sell? When I scroll through TB it’s starting to seem like a
    1-12 is ear bleeding for a lot of folks now. If they make 8-10 and don’t sell them the end result is everything else increases in price to close the gap. Or real people get laid off.

MCF, ajkula66, MattZilla and 8 others like this.
  6. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Genzler Amps
    Really? In a world where everyone is going smaller and lighter, you can't see why they would decide to scrap these archaic giant cabs, especially in a world where most people are buying online (think shipping costs)?
    I can believe it. Makes perfect sense.

VS, GregC, josephhc1803 and 25 others like this.
  7. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I'm secretly waiting for an old school Mesa 215 to just jump out and smack me in the face for let's say $250. Once I find a way to get it up into my ManCave it will never again move, I'll either die or sell it with the house as a condition of the sale...

Bassinthemudd, VS, TerenceE and 18 others like this.
  8. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Can’t imagine there’s much their 4x10 or 2x15 can’t do. Especially if you had 2.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The demand for the older Road Ready and Powerhouse cabinets fell like a rock as soon as the market said no and hell no. There's almost no demand for 100+ pound cabinets these days, and with the higher quality lighter weight drivers that are available recently, there's really no reason for the average pro player. The Subway cabinets outperform the Powerhouse cabinets model for model. For those who want the old cabinets, they are available on the used market for less than it would cost us to build them.

There are 6 Subway models: 210, 410, 112, 212, 115 and 215.

Yeah, you are not remembering this right. The Subway cabinet replaced the Powerhouse cabinets in 2014-2015, a full 7 years before we were acquired by Gibson. In fact, the Gibson ownership of today wasn't even around ~5 years ago.

The number of 810's being sold throughout the industry is pretty small. I did design (the electo-acoustic part) a custom 810 for Rex Brown (Pantera) last year, it was a custom shop tour support model and I also designed a 412 for Justin Chancellor (Tool) in approximately the same sized package (but much closer to the Subway family design), also a custom shop tour support model. It's not that we can't produce them, but the demand is really small and from the arena touring market. Clearly size/weight aren't important but the specific look was.

Rex's current tour rig:
    [​IMG]

Justin's current tour rig, the 810 is a customized Road Ready, the 412 is close to 2x Subway 212's (not exactly, but the differences were for his specific application in the O/D signal path):
    [​IMG]

10. Both rigs were recently on Premier Guitar's Rig Rundown. :wideyed:
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And daang, that Justin episode was the fastest 40 minutes ever. :woot:
    Nice cab job.

Saetia, MattZilla, RGerhart and 40 others like this.
  11. Auer

Auer

Feb 12, 2023
    Luckily all that cool gear is still around on the used market for those of us who like and use it.

Nothing sounds like my Acoustic Corp gear, so I'm likely to keep it.

Todays players don't even need amps and cabs as noted here before. and plenty of class D mouse gear for those who feel they do.

Direct Box Rox, DJ Bebop and WayneP like this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Years ago the touring industry drove the state of the art in bass amplification. I can say from experience that big and heavy gear is fairly easy to handle when you travel with a cargo truck that has a lift gate. And of course headliners have roadies, so the musicians don't even have to bother with schlepping their own gear.

The touring industry has changed and less and less bands are running huge walls of amps. So now the weekend warrior and casual musician have more influence in the market. It's not so easy to stuff a big heavy rig in a hatchback, so my impression is compact and light are primary market forces now. This impacts both cabs and heads.

You can still build a big rig if you want. If you are into Mesa, get two or more Subway 410s or 215s. Bonus...the Subway cabs are all designed to work well together. So you can mix and match if you like.

MattZilla, retslock, Murch and 22 others like this.
  13. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Appling Georgia
    I wonder what happened?[/QUOTE]

no demand= no sales

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  14. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Maryland
    I can’t imagine standing in front of those rigs night after night! What is the small box on top of Rex’s 810?

15. If you really want something huge-sounding, I highly recommend the 2x15. You don’t even have to run it loud. It sounds so heavy.

16. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

There's a Mesa Diesel 215 for sale in the T.B. Classifieds right now.
    Asking price is $400.00, maybe ya can talk him down????

But unless your in California you'll have to make a road trip!
    I can't even imagine what cross country shipping would be. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  17. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I have one. The rumors are indeed factual.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's a 210, but I am not sure it was even used with this setup except for the cosmetics.

19. J-Bass RMR

J-Bass RMR Supporting Member

No dummy cabs in there!