1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What I learned from a week at Berklee

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DanielleMuscato, Jun 22, 2007.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would have to agree with much of the above post. I like all kinds of bass playing and we shouldn't limit ourselves to stereotypes! That being said, in a band situation, the bass usually outlines the harmony while keeping the beat along with the drummer. If you can't do that you will definatly be playing "solo"!

2. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    Dang it.
    I was really hoping there'd be some quick & easy thing someone could say to me that'd make it all very easy & I'd become a pro by this time next week.
    Ahh well.Another "hard work" type dealy where I have to put my head down & arse up.Reminds me of that time a big bearded bloke bought me a beer.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    In 13-year-olds' parents' basements where they belong? :smug:

No, seriously, there is something to be said for pushing the envelope, but it's like introducing a new technology to the marketplace: Certain groundwork has to be in place first or it will flop. It has to be done in stages or people's eyes will glaze over (or in the case of music, they'll change the station). Berklee is a jazz school deep-down, and jazz is ALL about pushing boundaries, but it also means recognizing bass for its unique voice in the mix. There's are psychoacoustic and acoustic physics reasons that the bass feels like it fits better when it does longer, droning notes with less movement, and single notes rather than diads or chords. Now, don't get me wrong—I play a 6-string bass—but it really isn't any more insulting to say that the bass should hold down the low end that it should for to say that the violin plays the melody. That's just what the instrument is designed to do by virtue of its range & tone. We should be careful not to take these things personally, IMO.

4. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    :)