1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is an open jam?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tapout73, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Tapout73

Tapout73

Nov 30, 2007
    There is a band playing at a local bar, and on their website it says open jam. What exactly is this, do people get up and play with the band, or do other bands play by themselves and take turns? What is the format?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Usually means there's a sign-up list and people from the audience get to sit in and play as they work through the list. Bring your own instrument.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The format is whatever they say it is. You should ask the band in question, there are many many different formats.

As Pilgrim says, bringing your own bass is expected of you at a lot of these.

4. Tapout73

Tapout73

Nov 30, 2007
    I'm just learning to play, and was'nt sure what that meant. Sounds kinda interesting, and I think I might go watch it.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    They range from great to scary-bad, but either way can be pretty entertaining in my experience. They can be an excellent networking tool too.