1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What is flat EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the low one, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Sorry I just wanted to clarify this, your saying that the only thing that effects an amplifiers tone (if you take all the stuff about bad build quality out the equation like you mentioned) is the way it's fundamentally EQed? I've lost a part of my enthusiasm for life that's the case...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So let's all run out tomorrow and buy Behringers ;)

I think you'll be fine, Swami. Build quality has a tremendous effect on the sound in the form of harmonic distortion, so it's not like all amps sound the same after you EQ them. Plus EQ's on different amps all have different frequency centers, so that makes a big difference as well.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Other people's poor reading and comprehension has taken a lot of my joy for life away.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I've actually decided to delete all the stickies i wrote/attched to the FAQ section detailing 95% of the questions we get asked here. I really thought i was doing a good thing............:p

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Go figure!

6. "The passive tone stack manipulates response through frequency-selective attenuation. " If you can understand that, then you are home free. No boost. All attenuation. Peaks in the response graphs are indicative of less attenuation, not boost.

The 5F6-A uses tubes as impedance buffers, isolating the EQ from the input and output so that you don't have a lot of unwanted freq response and phase weirdness as you raise/lower the resistance in the stack.

Lastly, you can use a combination of attenuation EQ and overall gain structure to create about any kind of response curve, and the tone stack is still passive (cut only).

7. this is a really long debate for a post that was simply about where the OP's mid knob on his specific amp needs to be set so as not to be effected by the mid shift... lets keep this on topic.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Kinda reminds me of the flack Villex got for a passive booster. Which of course some know is about using resonance - apparently robbing frequency response in one area and placing that energy elsewhere.

9. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
  10. What difference do different gain structures and non-linearlarities make to tone then? Sorry to have unintentionally missed that last section and everything. I'll make sure to read peoples posts a few hundred more times in future, and have my personal comprehension of said posts sent off in writing to several prominent English language professors for evaluation to ensure that I have a proper grasp of it's content and context to stop such a tremendous irritation occuring again ;)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    See that you do.

:D

12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Don't feel singled out. If greenboy wasn't so firm in his opinions right or wrong, I personally would think he was trolling at times? :) :bag: I fear the heat! I fear the heat I may have created. :bag:

13. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Of track a little, but I think the OP was asking which position of his mid shift control gives his amp a flat response. The point of a lot of the responses here is simply that the term "flat" may not mean flat. His amp may or may not have a flat response with the mid shift button in either position. Hopefully he gained some insight here.

14. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Back on topic ;)

As suggested earlier I tried setting the mid eq knob to max on the Commando and in that position the mid shift button has no effect. So, does this mean that in this position the mids are flat for this amp?

As I posted earlier about the Hartke LH500 where the 2-10-2 eq settings were flat I think a similar thing is happening on the Commando. Is this a feature of passive eq? It certainly helped my fretless cut through. With the 2-10-2 setting the bass and treble controls have less affect on the overall tone. It’s like the mid control is dominating the tone, but the mids aren’t harsh. I’ll try this at gig volume over the next couple of weeks to see how it works in the mix.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, I think you've got it now. And it does sound like a Fender tone stack from all the descriptions. Although I've never heard of a Fender tone stack with a mid shift, it could be easily added.

16. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    With 2-10-2 being a flat response, bass and treble are boost only and mids are cust only, how do I boost mids or cut bass and treble ?

17. You won't be able to do either, you'll just have to take off some bass and treble for more midrange presence or take off midrange if you need a more scooped sound, obviously you haven't got that much room to change the sound a great deal though.

18. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Great thread...

19. Alright! No-one was claiming it was very interesting ;)

20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just FYI a GK MB200 was measured flat set thus:
    Contour = Off
    Treble = 10:00
    Hi Mid = 2:00
    Low Mid = 1:00
    Bass = 10:00

An old Fender Bassman:
    Flat = 2-10-2

An Ampeg SVT:
    Bass 11:00
    Highs 2:00
    Mids 3:00 @ 800hz
    Ultra switches off

An Ampeg Micro-VR:
    bass 10:30, mids 12:15, and treble 10:00

Oh, and flat on the old Tube Works bass amps was 10-10-10

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021