1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is my bass?! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crispy_unknown, Oct 8, 2010.

1. crispy_unknown

crispy_unknown

May 9, 2005
    Hey guys, I've been floating around for a couple of days asking some questions and thought I'd give the BIG one ago. What is my bass?!

Heres the story, I bought the body several years ago from a well respected guy who fixes up and restores broken guitars but also buys and sells instruments as a hobby, I got this bass because firstly it looks different and secondly its a thru neck... I then went about adding everything afterwards, so nothing is original.

The guy said that despite the ESP label on the head (which has obviously been put on by someone in a not too professional manner), his best guess was either an Aria or an Ibanez from the late 70's/early 80's when thru necks were big. It has no serial number and nothing really to mention apart from the lack of fret marks on the neck... Erm, it came with a brass nut, it weights a ton? Does that help?

Anyway, here's some pictures I took. Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to somehow figure out what this unknown bass is I've been happily playing for years.

The white balance in the pictures is a little off, I have soft and hard light in my room which confused me and my camera so I added a final darker image with just the flash and correct white balance to give an idea what the colours actually look like. I hope the image sizes are ok.

Thanks guys.

IMG_4444_1.jpg

IMG_4442_1.jpg

IMG_4443_1.jpg

IMG_4445_1.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Looks like an Aria.

Then again, it COULD just be an ESP.

3. seems very likely to be an aria, to me...

4. It's pretty hot whatever it is, I kind of want one haha.

5. My next bass :bag:

6. crispy_unknown

crispy_unknown

May 9, 2005
    Thanks guys, so an Aria possibly? Any idea what model etc or is that a pretty hard ask? How much would the body genuinely be worth in average condition? i have no idea of the value of the bass, £100 or £500? or more, I just dont know and probably should, although I dont think I would ever sell it, save for some serious financial troubles or a crack habbit...

7. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    Notice the neck-through-body, a classic rickenbacker bass design.

I'd say it's the fabled rickenbacker 4000ESP

8. I would rock it. :bassist:

9. THAT THING IS AWESOME SELL IT TO ME NOW

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    [​IMG]

11. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Wow. I really dig that :)

12. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    I think it IS an ESP, very early one perhaps.

13. crispy_unknown

crispy_unknown

May 9, 2005
    Ha! I don't even know what its worth

14. So neither does he...;)

15. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    It's just an ESP neck, brass nut, different pickups, new bridge, and some sort of body. That's all man. It's just a custom Frankenstein bass

16. yogadork

yogadork

Mar 26, 2008
    It could also be a Fernandez or Tokai as they both made the same model.I have a Fernandez one with a J in the bridge and its a very cool playing bass indeed.

17. This was sold in the UK as Satellite, but also came under many other names. Sorry, it's nothing special. Actually made in the early days of the Korean guitar industry and was a deliberate copy of the Aria/Westone building techniques used by Matsumoku. Some of them had DiMarzio pickups.

Mine cost me £35 and I sold it for £55. Here's some pics of mine:

P9080153.gif

P9080155.gif

P9080157.gif

18. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Remove the neck and check for a brand name in the pocket

:ninja:

19. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I don't know what it is, but I'd like to have one.