1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is this preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by impactwrench, Apr 27, 2009.

1. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I got this in a Craigslist transaction. He said its an Aguilar preamp. I heard it might be a Bartolini, since it says Mk I on the circuitboard. All I have is this chip with 18 wires coming off of it. Can I make use of it?

2. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    The last bartolini pre I had was 100% potted so you couldn't see the circuit, I don't know if they've changed their ways???

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That looks like the Mk1 I pulled out of my old Skyline 55-01. The Mk1 preamps aren't sealed like the "real" Bartolini preamps are. Definately not Aguilar, either.

Mike

4. Jesse DeCarlo

Jesse DeCarlo

Apr 23, 2008
    Yes, that is a Bartolini MK1. Like the MK1 pickups, the preamps are made overseas so they're not particularly similar to US Bartolini stuff.

Impactwrench: it's a shame that it didn't come with the pots attached, because it's going to take a lot of soldering to get it functioning. If you want to go for it, I can draw a diagram based on the one I pulled out of my SR900. You may know this already, but it's designed to work with 5 knobs: vol, blend, bass, mid, treble. If the instrument you want to put it in has fewer than 5 holes, you can probably make use of 1 or more stacked pots.

5. interesting...

looks very much like the pre in my Squier Jazz Deluxe Active V....

anyone know if these pre's are related?

6. t3l3funk3n

t3l3funk3n

May 22, 2008
    yes, they are the same. i remember reading about it from one of the posts here. the owner of the squier said it's the same as the ones found in cort curbow basses. i've got the same preamp on my cort curbow bass.

7. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I think its pretty useless as a chip eh? I don't think Im going to put it in a bass.