What is your favourite scheduling app?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Oct 14, 2019.

1. So, you have multiple bands, gigs and rehearsals, family obligations, work and other things to organize. What do you use to keep everything organized? Do you have a favourite scheduling app on your phone (or across multiple devices) that you use?

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    The only thing I have ever been able to get any kind of consensus on is Google Calendar.

3. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Google Calendar. It's easy, synchronizes with Gmail and everyone uses Gmail.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I tried a thread a few weeks ago and most defaulted to Google Calendar. :thumbsdown:

downunder and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  5. I have and use the default calendar in my iPhone, but think I preferred (what I think was) Goole Calendar in its predecessor on Android, just for the view and layout.

6. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Because it's ubiquitous. Why not use the platform that most folks use?

J_Bass likes this.
  7. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Montana Mountainside
    Google calendar if there's a propensity of non-technical folks in the band, but I've also used Nextcloud (and its built-in caldav server) to great success as well.

selowitch likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Because Google gets all up in your business. They use every single piece of data to attempt to shape your world. I would rather use ANYTHING other than Google.

12BitSlab, jebmd, Winslow and 14 others like this.
  9. Because there may be something that's way better! But, I can understand the logic of using something that everyone already has or can easily get.

Google Calendar might be the Fender or Ibanez of scheduling apps. What is the Fodera? :D :)

sleeplessknight likes this.
  10. Yeah, I like it when software works for me and isn't bugging me constantly!

sleeplessknight likes this.
  11. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    While I see your point, I feel like this is the current state of the world. IMO your privacy on the internet in general is an illusion.

12. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Like with Two fingers, I see your point but I have issues with it. In my situations, working with a bunch of different people, asking them all to download and learn some random software is not helpful.

Its like when you download Venmo because a BL wants to epay you for a gig. Then next week a different BL wants you to download Cashapp. Then the next day, a guy wants to paypal you.... Google calendars is the CASH of calendar apps.

13. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Montana Mountainside
    It's more a perception of "committing one's business to a closed and dying platform is probably not in one's best long-term interests". 20 years ago, AOL was 'the Google' or maybe even 'the Facebook' of the day. The short-term solution was certainly to go all-in on AOL, to the exclusion of other platforms. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, we can see that is a mistake. The wise move (for long-term sustainability, at least IMHO) is to situate yourself on an open platform FIRST (like 'your own domain', etc) and use that as your base of promotion/organization out to whatever closed-platform may be coming along that year.

Door County Bass likes this.
  14. Unless you are specifically paying for something, any internet solution will be all up in your business. Most of the paying ones will be too.

15. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    We use teamup.com. Works great for us.

RattleSnack likes this.
  16. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Free calendar from the beer store every December.

Jdh19, sharkbait130, Winslow and 9 others like this.
  17. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    That makes sense.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    In churches, we use Planning Center. It’s a different scenario than a band - picture the bar scheduling individual musicians. While that sounds like a Train Wreck, it works very well.

pedroims, j.albert and geof_ like this.
  19. My purpose for a new calendar app was just for scheduling myself and maybe giving my wife access. For my bands, we run Doodle polls for rehearsal availabilities and TeamUp for gig availabilities. My current official calendar is printed ones that go on the filing cabinet that both my wife and I write on! We're old school!

20. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Excel Sheets. Open the file with internet connection, and voila.

One line per gig. Be sure to indicate day of week and date for each gig. Wrap text in one field for notes. Spell things out such as addresses/ driving directions or notes detail, music is important! :bassist:

Format how you like, use highlighting on whole box or line). Only include approved, scheduled gigs, period.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019