1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your GAS killer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    My biggest GAS killer is seeing a bunch of basses that all look the same
    (this is only half of them):
    basses.
    I don't think there's much sexier than a natural body with a maple/ black block neck, but I kind of want to "think" that I am getting something unique, or not so "cookie-cutter."

What kills GAS for you?

blastbass, Matto1349, Bruce_M and 4 others like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My mortgage.

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Hah! Same here!

(also daycare)

Mike_1978 and Duder like this.
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Once one has everything they need, GAS subsides! :)

5. My GAS cure is: Logic.

I just sit down and think. I really don't need anymore basses; I'm not gigging regularly, not in a band, so I just don't need the gear.

I've learned that a lot of my GAS comes from hearing people's own testimonials about instruments they own, but a lot of them are incredibly biased; a bass may be great, but if someone buys it, chances are they will praise it just for the fact that they spent their own money and that makes it special to them.

Sure, there are plenty of great instruments that receive a lot of praise and entirely deserve it (US Peaveys come to mind) but it's just so hard to choose an instrument based on online reviews. These days, I only buy instruments that speak to me on a personal level after I play them in person.

6. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    My mortgage is one third of what I used to pay in rent, but your answer is probably one of the most logical ones.
    I really want to agree with you, but I believe GAS is more about wanting than needing.

7. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    The kids expect to eat - every day.

Susqmike, ZonieBass, TonyP- and 7 others like this.
  8. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Yeah, but just once a day, right?

9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Placentia! Lard Tunderin' Jesus, By! I was stationed at Argentia from 1964-1965. I'll bet you have to drive to Saint John's to get to a music store.
    In about 1969-1970, I played around Saint John's with different bands. Particularly liked playing The Old Mill.

static0verdrive likes this.
  10. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    No! I read it's supposed to be 3 times. But in reality it's ALL the time. Munch, munch, munch.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  11. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    My 9-year-old usually skips breakfast, then eats three lunches. (The third lunch lasts until bedtime.)

ThuzzleFump and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  12. Small world! I wasn't around while the base was on the go, but me and my buddies have still spent a lot of time beatin' the paths of Argentia.

The nearest music store is St.John's, and that hampers my musical instrument buying, but the music scene is still alive and well; half the musicians you used to watch in the '70s are probably still gigging!

13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My GAS relief comes in the form of low-bidding. Because I don't need another bass I set my sights on a particular bass and convince myself it's only worth a certain low and fairly unreasonable price (new). I will then send out offers and inquiries about the bass to a few merchants to see if they will capitulate. I figure at best I'm softening the market for others who come in later with a more reasonable offer. Plus, the thrill of maybe getting a steal keeps it interesting. If the merchant counters with reality my own cognitive dissonance allows me to believe that it's not worth it. Win/win.

Old Blastard and Bodeanly like this.
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Is the road to TCH paved now? uses to be dirt, mud, or snow, depending on season. Punctured many a gas tank and blew a lot of tires up and down that road.

DrewFolkadelics likes this.
  15. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    My poor wife is always the voice of reason. I'm surprised she hasn't killed me yet just for asking.

16. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    My wife cures my GAS. She's a veterinarian, and neuters things for a living... :)

17. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Vet bills.

SteveHeissner and Bodeanly like this.
  18. The road through southeast hasn't been paved, many many rims have been lost on that road. It's not uncommon to see transport trucks in the ditch.

19. Quite simply, SPACE!
    I've got 5 instruments now, including two guitars, and TBH there wasn't really room for one more when I bought a 4004 Rickenbacker, but I made room thinking I would sell my Fender.
    So far I've held onto the Fender, because it matches my Stratocaster.

IMG_20150505_124938118_PL.

20. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    One of my friend's bands had a benefit for his dog's operation. They made a ton of cash and donated the remainder to a shelter.