1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is your Gig day preparation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassbully, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:26 PM.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Tell me about how you handle the day of a gig from when you rise to when you arrive. After last weekends gig day in which I handled horribly, I’m looking for pointers. I have been playing for years but will admit I’m not always organized on the day of a gig.
    Sometimes it falls into place, but it seams anymore I’m turning around and it’s time to load the truck to leave, although it feels I just got out of bed.
    Sometimes it’s my fault sometimes it’s work (seldom) or family that effect it. Do you practice before you leave for a a gig, lay low, rest, or pace the floor in anticipation?

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Plenty of family, house, and work the days of gigs. I keep my gig gear ready and have separate home gear (unless i call an audible) except my basses. So i just grab my gear and go. Once at the gig i stretch and warm up.

What have you noticed as far as problems?

Rickter, NathOBX and InhumanResource like this.
  3. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Lately it seams it’s time to go right after my feet hit the floor out of bed. It’s like I turn around and the day had flown by and I’m cramming to get my **** together. After last weeks gig where I didn’t eat or hydrate right I vowed it won’t happen again.
    To be honest I try to do anything non music related during the day like doing something with my family. That sometimes backfires and takes more time away and my focus as well. Since I know I’m going to be gone all evening and home after midnight when they are sleeping. That makes me feel a bit guilty if I don’t do something with them the day of a gig.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM
  4. HauntedDave

HauntedDave

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I literally go through everything I will be using at the show from the ground up. Every battery is tested with a voltmeter, cords are inspected for any excessive wear, wireless is tested, strap buttons/locks are checked for tightness, extra picks, batteries, cords, fuses, and sharpies are packed, and then everything is loaded making sure nothing is forgotten. I won't eat any sooner than 3 hours before showtime, do some low impact stretches, get stage clothes ready, and then off to the show! Always give a 110%.

Rickter, ONYX and bassbully like this.
  5. Lbsterner

Lbsterner

Nov 22, 2017
    I try not to schedule anything much on gig days, but if it's a Friday I might have work. I make sure I know what I'm going to wear and I have my gig bag packed up with extra cables, batteries, a screwdriver (in case batteries need changing), and other miscellany the day before. If it's out of town, I pack a bag and make sure I have the overnight essentials. I have learned to travel light.

I make sure I have my gear in the car and ready to go an hour before it's time to leave. Before I head out the door I take inventory to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

If I have time, I straighten my hair :)

Rickter and bassbully like this.
  6. FilTurd

FilTurd Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Get up coffee hang out with my wife.Listen to Guttermouth, eat, head to the van. If we have a member who parties the party is at the studio. Recheck gear and head out and have a blast until we get to point B from point A. The point C from B

bassbully likes this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Nothing special. Ill load up an hour before I need to leave, grab a shower and put on clean clothes. Stop at McD’s on the way for my traditional pre gig meal. Arrive at the venue about 90 minutes before downbeat. Set up, sound check, play.

That’s for a Saturday gig.

Friday gigs - race home, take five minutes to load up. Grab a shower if there’s time. Race to venue and hope there’s time to eat and grab a drink before downbeat. Inevitably forget something!

JGbassman, blong1, smogg and 5 others like this.
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I wake up, do stuff, load gear, go to gig, go home, unload gear, go to sleep. Repeat as required.

grinx, Bunk McNulty, kesslari and 4 others like this.
  9. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    If it is a standard 8-12a nap in the afternoon is a must at this point for two reasons
    1 so I can give it my all even if we are asked to play longer
    2 so I am somewhat normal the next day
    Otherwise it’s just another day
    Duke

sharkbait130 and bassbully like this.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    In the morning I make a mental check list of what gear I'm taking. Then double check that everything vital is in my gig bag. Zip it up and put it near the door.

Sometimes I use a gig as an excuse to avoid yard work on weekends. To rest my hands of course.

Other than that, the only thing I do is time my meals so I eat about 2 hours before we play.

11. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Sleep the night before, eat good foods to fuel the brain and triple check gig supplies.

12. still learning

still learning

May 6, 2011
    get to soundcheck at around 5.30
    drink 150ml of scotch which i have brought with me in a flask
    when thats finished continue drinking beers from the
    band rider till beginning of second set (around 9ish)
    then stop drinking and hope im below .05 for the drive home
    always have a fun time.

13. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Risky be careful.

dan1952 likes this.
  14. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Anyone go over their setlist day of show? Maybe a tricky song or new ones the band added recently?

15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Make sure everything that is supposed to be in the gig bag is in the gig bag.

Check the instrument: action, make sure the jack is working, check battery on active basses.

Give the amp a quick once over--make sure it powers up and produces sound.

Double and triple check gig time, gig location.

Make sure the vehicle has enough fuel to get to AND from the gig.

16. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, I definitely will brush up on a song or two if there are any tricky parts.

Being over 50 I deal with aches and pains before they happen with some nutrition and supplements. I take glucosamine for joints, and Glutamine for stamina so my muscles are fully fueled and I won't run out of gas in the middle of a fast song. I notice a big difference with the glutamine.

Organize any papers I need (set list, a chart for a song if I need it, etc), most of my accessories live in a rectangular crate (cables, spare tuner, FingerEase for humid days). My bandmates joke about it, but if someone needs something, I'm the guy they ask for it. I hate not having some little item I need.

I'm trying to organize our load-in better so we get the big stuff up first (power, lights, PA).

17. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Back when I gigged, I had a list of stuff, and everything was packed (not loaded) the day before (if it was in cases it was in the case, if it was in a bag, it was in the bag) and all lined and ready to go.Always at the gig by the specified set up time, always helped other schlep there stuff. Introduced myself to (when appropriate) to owners, bartenders, wait staff, the happy couple (bride and her mother), etc.

18. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Shave my legs, and pack the car. Kiss girlfriend on the way out the door.

Rickter, bassbully, Babydave and 3 others like this.
  19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    We usually gig on Saturdays, so a nap on Saturday afternoon is always a good idea. Beyond that, I try to make sure I drink a lot of water the 24 hours before the gig, to avoid finger cramping caused by dehydration. I will sometimes run through songs again, but if you're rehearsing the day of the gig, it's probably too late. The band will show up about 2.5 hours before show time, set up, and then we get something to eat.

bassbully and five7 like this.
  20. I have this super healthy this I do where I don't eat anything. I play better on an empty stomach.