What is your most difficult challenge in playing bass.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Neil Folkard, Mar 5, 2020.

1. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    creating tasty fills and slapping, tho its not my style to slap, i love the sound when and where its needed..never had a problem with gear, I'm old school...i plug in, i hear it..not distorted...happy face.

tommyeadg likes this.
  2. Not getting what’s in my head to come out on the bass. And knowing that, if it did, it still wouldn’t meet my standards.

I came to bass late in life after playing keys since a little kid. I became a composer/producer in broadcast and mostly hired others to play—cats who were way above my pay grade as players.

So right now, the bands who would have me aren’t good enough for me, and I may not be good enough for those I aspire to play with.

All that said, I’m putting in as much time as I can, knowing it is what it is and someday I’ll get wherever it is I’m going to get. And that’s good enough.

juggahnaught likes this.
  3. I`m still very much a beginner, and I have small hands. My biggest challenge is getting my fingers to stretch far enough to hit the notes. But I`m getting there.

Neil Folkard and bobba66 like this.
  4. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Besides finding time...

1) improvisation/open jamming. I'm better when I'm given some riffs "for homework" then I'll come back next practice with a solid bassline. My brain is simultaneously ADD but with processing delays.

2) I'm not very good at slapping or tapping. I can do it once in a while, but that's about it.

3) I want to get better at playing chords.

4) I'm working on playing with a lighter touch.

And although it has nothing to do with playing, I am terrible at doing my own setups. I want to get better at that.

juggahnaught likes this.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    When you are playing with mediocre musicians, and playing a mediocre song that you don't like … trying to pretend you are into it and having fun

6. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Mostly it’s hard to find cool left handed basses but I do have some killer ones.

7. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Whether guitar or bass, it's always been theory. I've never really grasped it in 25 years.

8. Hearing the chord changes in jazz standards. No problem when I have a chart, but a walk in jam session........I'm better off sitting at the bar downing a shot of Jack with a Bud chaser.

Oh, and when to reach toward the nut or toward the bridge to play a chromatic outside of the key I'm playing........I get confused on that... ☹️

9. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    having a consistent group together on a regular basis so the band gets tight and really grooves!

10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    getting all the PA to the stage with only two cart-loads.........

11. Practicing. Seems like I wanna play more than I want to practice and that is an issue. I need to practice more but I'm easily bored. I travel a lot for work as well and I can't take my bass. Might get a shorty for the road this year.

12. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

there's that.

Overall though? Soloing..Something I struggle with a lot. To an untrained ear it probably sounds ok, but anyone who knows anything knows Im full of crap when soloing.

Its getting better though

juggahnaught and TN WOODMAN like this.
  13. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I hope to resume playing when I retire in five years. Until then a little aimless noodling will have to suffice.:woot:

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  14. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    The volume of the guitar players.

TN WOODMAN and AudioTaper like this.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have never worked on applying any of my theory to bass guitar in any organized fashion. I also struggle to practice more than just a lot of riffs. I play pretty often, though.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    At the moment, song analysis. It's something I really want to get good at and I'm currently not. I also want to get good at sightreading and I'm working on that right now, so analyzing basslines is sitting on the back burner for the time being.

17. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    I still play too many damn notes!

Neil Folkard likes this.
  18. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

• Finding the time to play, rehearse and gig when working swing shift.
    • Singing while playing
    • Band member issues
    • Finding a way to keep going thru the 60's hands, back, knees, hips, feet memory issues

19. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Speed, followed by theory.

Speed seems to be something I just can't do. I practice a lot, trying to increase my dexterity but I can't seem to crack the barrier that I'm currently at.

Theory - I've got a bit under my belt but there's so much more to learn and I can't seem to find the time.

20. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    It’s not quite what you’re asking, but I don’t get to tell this story often.

I started on brass, euphonium specifically, but I play all of the brass horns. I played at a very high level at a very young age- some called me a prodigy, but I actually know a few prodigies and I’m definitely not that lol.

I picked up bass in like 8th grade, I picked it up really quickly, but I never learned to practice. A lot of my physical growth on horns happened hand in hand with my musical development, and I never got to pay the same dues on bass. I’m pretty good by any standard, but I never reached anything close to the level of technical prowess or pure chops that I had on horns, and it bothers me every day.

I guess I could practice, but *shrugs*

Neil Folkard and juggahnaught like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021