1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is your workout routine?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Papa Dangerous, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    So, I have heard a few things from a few different sources. Two sources studied the field of health and fitness, and another source would be forums and random testimony... I know who to trust on this matter but I am just wondering what you do and what seems to work best! From what I know...

*1 major muscle groupings and 2 minor per workout and certain muscle groupings compliment each other.
    -Chest/triceps
    -Back/Biceps
    -You workout triceps when you do chest by default. Same for biceps and back exercises.

*Any day can do cardio and abs/core/obliques.

*Treadmill can be hard on joints so elliptical can be a safe alternative. Bikes are good but it is mostly cardio and lower body work out.

-A mix of high and low intensity on the elliptical can increase metabolism and burn more calories (1:3 ratio of high to low - 30 seconds high 1.5 minutes low and switch about 10 times for a 20 minute cardio workout)

Now my questions..

What are the leg muscle groups that should be worked out together?

Does it matter what the second minor muscle group used? Obviously it should compliment but would Chest/triceps/biceps be too much?

What are other complimentary muscle groupings? I imagine Shoulders being a good mixture with back and biceps. What would be good for chest/triceps?

To burn fat you are supposed to keep a certain heart rate (for my age and weight, I should keep my heart rate at 127). However, when you go beyond that, you tend burn of proteins rather than fat. So when you are to do a mixture of high intensity and low intensity workout (as described above) are you supposed to keep the low at 127? What constitutes high than? (I know for a high intensity [according to the cardio machines] it says heart rate is around 160) How is a person supposed to fluctuate between the two extremes with in such a short period in that style of a cardio workout?

Please add any information you would like to this :)

2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Wake up.
    Smoke Cigarette.
    Drink Black Coffee.
    Check Email.
    Take Shower.
    Goto Work.
    On Feet for 12 hours.
    Drive Home.
    Rinse.
    Repeat.

3. Are you new to working out? Particularly weight training.

If so, you are worrying a bit too much about finer details.

Programs like Starting Strength are great for beginners to intermediate lifters. They have you squatting every session (3x a week) and alternating between other compound lifts.

Large compound lifts are by far the most important. Isolation lifts are only really important if you are going for a bodybuilding style physique, and even then, you don't need them til you are more advanced.

I've been nursing a hip injury on/off for the past year and a bit, so my gym work has been less than uniform, I've been focusing more on the Rugby. But what I'm going back to:

Monday - Cardio + Weights
    Tuesday - Rugby (training)
    Wednesday - Cardio + Weights
    Thursday - Rugby (training)
    Friday - Cardio + Weights
    Saturday - Rugby (game)
    Sunday - Off

Cardio will probably just be 15-30 minutes, Rowing & Stationary Bike.

Weight work will be a program similar to Starting Strength to begin with (tweaked towards lifts for power, adding Power Snatch and Jerks).

Rugby training varies from session to session. Tuesdays will be cardio (warmup, lots of sprints, shuttle runs), handling and contact training, Thursdays tend to be cardio and gameshape (running through game plays).

The most important thing to do, is find a routine and stick to it. The finer details don't make any difference if you miss it now and again. Sticking to a routine is the most important part.

If you are burning fat, diet is a bigger worry than aiming for a specific heartrate, but then, you don't want to cut it too much if you are doing lifting.

I'd also suggest you look at rowing for cardio work. IMO you'd struggle to beat it for all round cardio exercise in the gym!

You could also look into HIIT (high intensity interval training) cardio.

4. Higher intensity runs under 4 miles 2-3 times a week. Some pushups and sit-ups afterwards.

Long run on saturday.

Rinse and repeat.

See if I can stay injury free and get my half marathon under 2 hours this spring.

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Since I'm home with the rents until I can find a full-time job I'm limited to just a pair of dumbbells, a barbell, and a pile of plate weights (2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, and 25 lbs) to load onto them. My routine when I'm not hacking up my lungs every other minute (PROTIP: Don't get pneumonia)

Sunday: sleep and extra bass practice
    Monday: Run
    Tuesday: Dumbbell press, weighted lunges, skull crushers, crunches, push ups, forearm extensions, Romanian deadlifts, dumbbell flies
    Wednesday: Run
    Thursday: Curls, squat lunges, wide rows, crunches, shrugs, bend to opposite foot
    Friday: Run
    Saturday: Golf, lighter dumbbell press, lighter wide rows, curls, crunches, pushups, squat lunges, shrugs.

I'm not going for bulk, as I can't play rugby anymore, so I'm just going for a general "in shape" or rower/crew build.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just bought dumbbells and an incline bench... haven't got any sort of routine set up yet, but I've only had them for a couple days. I've had a treadmill for a while now that I try to use 3x a week (even if for only 10-15 minutes at a clip)... I'm figuring the weights are gonna be getting the alternating 3x a week with a day off.

I don't care for bodybuilding or the vanity of it all... I am just looking to improve my overall health at this point.

7. DirtySix

DirtySix

Jan 8, 2012
    Canada
    Day 1
    Warm up
    Power Clean 5x5
    Reverse Row 5x5
    Bench 5X5
    Squat 5x5

Day 2
    Warm up
    Push Press 5x5
    Weighted Chest to Bar 5x5 (use weight belt, arms full extension, pull up to chest, head tilted back )
    Weighted Dips 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5

Core Workout 3 days a week interchanging two per session
    Hanging toe to bar 5 sets to fail
    Hanging swivel legs
    Roller wheel 5 sets to fail (from standing to full extension and and back up again, start off from knees when doing this one)
    Sledge Hammer alternating left and right down swing 5 sets of 25
    Sledge Hammer axe swing 5 sets of 15 on each side (love this one)

Program works like this:
    - first 2 sets are warm up, next 3 are max weight
    - Give yourself 2 rest days between workouts
    - Cardio after lifts (you don't want to waste your energy before you lift heavy weight and cardio after lifts will burn more fat)
    - First 2 weeks are 5x5, 3rd week will be 5 sets of 4 reps, 4th week 5 sets of 3 reps and so on until you reach your 1 rep max.
    - take a rest week after one rep max week. Workout is 3 sets of 65% of max weight (Take it easy)
    - Repeat program (you will see significant gains. Your max weight will increase drastically at first.)

This program is designed for maximum strength gains and explosive power (I train at an MMA gym so it is geared for short term maximum explosiveness). You will put on lots of muscle at first but will plateau at a certain point in regards to size while strength continues to increase. You can add more bulk by upping your reps to the 8 to 10 rep range. Nutrition is most important for this program. a poor diet and lack of protein will stunt your strength gains and you will feel it.

Also, please don't try and do a program like this without proper instruction first. Form is very very VERY important when moving heavy weight. It is all to easy to seriously injure yourself doing these exercises. The key to improving is small goals each workout which add up to big gains over time if you stay consistent.

I have noticed improvements in all aspects of my life from this workout, including music. My coordination in my hands have increased and my speed has vastly increased. This i believe is from the improved muscle to CNS connection. Give it a try and train safe!

PS.
    (Oh yeah, make sure you add cardio, I get mine from work and MMA classes. If you want to burn fat do your cardio after your lifts, your glycogen stores will be used up in your muscles which means any cardio afterwards will tap into your energy stores ie. FAT).

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I do 1/2 hour on the elliptical "hills" course, followed by crunches and other core strength exercises, and then I do each machine in the fitness center for my arms and legs. I do not do anything that involves putting pressure on the spine, as I had a spinal fusion about nine months ago.

I only do this twice a week right now, and I do some physical therapy on the other days. The results so far are amazing.

9. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I like cross training so have been doing boot camps and now cross fit 3 times/week. Crossfit is great if you like a variety of short and intense workouts. Add in running 5 km or stationary bike at least once a week and hockey here and there you are. I'm 48.

10. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I am new but not a complete newbie. I am still trying to figure out the most optimal routine for myself and than I want to stick it. I feel like I am sorta playing the field when it comes to choosing the right machine. I am stick to machines mostly because I do not want to have poor posture on free weights. I see that as something I would eventually build myself up too.

It is part of my personality to understand the small and finer things before getting fully involved. Even with my bass playing. I refused any attempts at playing in a band because I felt like I had to be of certain skill (by my own means, not others.) I feel like understanding improves overall effectiveness of things... but perhaps I will try and be a little less critical :D

Isn't the high intensity interval training what I attempted to explain somewhere? 1:3 ratio of high and low intensity for about 20-25 minutes? Or did I confuse that with something else?

I am going for a program that will help me lose the fat first and than perhaps build more muscle after... or is that not a good idea? I want to lose some skin around the gut, man boobs, love handles and the such. I am not drastically over weight but have always been bigger since I was young and I am just tired of it.

I just started, what I think to be, HIIT. I would follow that by abs/core and than chose between chest/triceps or back/biceps. I have been very cautious about doing leg exercises (However just started doing hip adductors and hip abductors) because I have injured both knees in the past and do not want to do something to aggravate them again.

I think the cardio after lifting is going to make a huge improvement! I always did it first because I figured I would get that dopemine rush from running and than be set for the rest of the work. I have only been doing the bike for usually 30 minutes. The treadmill hurts my knees too much and so did the elliptical. However, I think I might have been doing too much (1 hour on elliptical when I was first starting out) and that resulted in my knees bothering me for about a week.

My major concern, cause I now have a gym buddy who I am trying to show how to use the gym, is proper muscle groupings. I do not know the actions behind the names of those you listed, so I do not know what gets worked out in them. My friend is a small girl, skinny, but wants to remain in shape. Her major focus is her abs, glutes, hips, and inner thighs. I have similar focus but I want to build muscle she does not really (unless its a bit of the abs.) Should we do similar workouts or separate ones because we have slightly different goals?

Are there actually any groupings to work together that are better than others?

I like back/biceps/shoulders. As well as chest/triceps/abs.
    I try and do cardio each time I go to the gym. I guess I would just need to incorporate legs in there. Do I do say quads/calves and hamstrings/glutes?

Thank for all your input so far! :D

11. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    nutrition is just as important as your workout, don't neglect proper nutrition...

as for what is 'proper' for you specifically--that will take some research and time spent experimenting with how you respond to nutritional differences

12. That's cool, I'm a big fan of free weights in place of machines (unless there is a specific reason you should not be using free weights).

I doesn't take long to get the basic postures right. You can spend your life working on the nuances of posture, even the best lifters in the world can always work on technique.

Going back to the type of program you use. You can do some bigger lifts/exercises every other day. Your quads and hamstrings are great examples of this. The other upside, is working larger muscle groups lets you stress the body, overall, which will not only mean a higher energy use, but a greater increase in testosterone, meaning more muscle mass over the entire body, meaning your body will burn more energy, even when at rest.

Nothing at all wrong with trying to understand it all. Heck, that's why I'm working on my 3rd degree, and I've basically covered all the hard sciences at one University level or another!

However, I will point out that sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to the gym. Doing lots of smaller separate exercises could hinder your progress, while focusing on a few large compound exercises, would provide faster progress.

Sorry, managed to gloss over that part. There are a few ways of doing it. I quite like the Guerilla Cardio method (and similar):
    http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wneumann/files/guerilla_cardio.pdf

Can't remember if you posted in it or not, but there is a fairly large gym/weightlifting thread where we all keep track of how we get on :)

13. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    this is great advice

14. DirtySix

DirtySix

Jan 8, 2012
    Canada
    Everything i_got_a_mohawk said there is great advice. By dynamic I was referring to whole body movements or compound movements. Isolation is great for body building purposes but for functional muscle you want to use your whole body. That is the focus of the workout I posted, this is so all your muscle groups learn to maximize strength and coordination together rather than isolating individual muscles.

The less is more is also a great point. It is very easy to over train your body if you don't rest and eat properly. Your workout is doing damage to your muscles, it is the rest and nutrition that is actually building the muscle back up to be stronger and more resilient to the stresses you are putting on your body. That is why I only have two days of heavy lifting, on those days are when I start my strongest (before workout) and end up my weakest (after workout).

I understand your view on trying to get good at something before starting something else but I will tell you that this is not the right idea if you want to get into a workout program. I personally don't like machines as they isolate rather whereas free weights (bar bells, dumbbells) force you to use your whole body to stabilize the weight for the particular movements you will be doing. This causes you to use more muscles, increases the amount of calories you burn and will develop functional muscle much faster.

If you choose to go the route of free weight training I would suggest from my own experience the following: I was once apprehensive and unsure how to start a program. So I went to one of the pro MMA fighters at my gym (Mark "The MAchine" Hominick) and asked him what I should do. He brought over his strength training coach and I talked to him and told him what I wanted to do. We decided I would pay for 3 training sessions and he would show me proper form and help me build a program for me. Best $120 i have ever spent. I stuck with the program never missed a workout and it has changed my life. I couldn't move much weight when I first started but by making small goals each day I am now move weight i had never imagined and in the best shape of my life (i'm 30 now). So the best thing you can do for yourself is find a good instructor and pay for several sessions of personal training. It is a small investment for your health and will make sure you get over those beginner jitters. In a years time people will be coming to you for advice and it will feel really good to share what you have learned.

Sorry for my large posts but I am really passionate about physical fitness now.

i_got_a_mohawk
    Are you doing a kin program at school? I have already been through university but I have been seriously considering some kind of school in sports med or kin. How do you feel about your schooling vs practical experience and personal training certification? I'm just undecided if I should invest so much time in school again at this point. If you are not in school for this no worries and you have some great advice.

15. Here is my current regimen:

Mondays: Bench, Row, rack pulls (deadlifts from knee height) if time allows.

Tuesdays: Squats & Curls

Thursdays: Deadlifts, Presses & weighted pullups

Saturdays: Squats & Curls.

My curls are weak, so that is why they are in there twice.

For all of the lifts except deadlifts, I am working on doing 8 sets, working from doubles to triples before increasing weight. On the deadlift, I am doing singles, as I have read that is a way to significantly build strength.

Chebass88

P.S. I bent some 1/2" steel rod and also a 60 penny nail this afternoon. That is pretty fun!

16. Thanks for the kind words :)

It's one thing that I really like about TB, for a bassists forum, there is some damned awesome gym knowledge on this board!

I'm just into (what should be) the final year of my PhD in Physics, I already hold a BSc (hons) in Biochemistry and an MSc in Nanotechnology & Microsystems.

While I've been formally taught some relevant stuff (via my BSc), it was mainly some anatomy and the chemical mechanisms which cause our muscles to work.

A lot of my gym knowledge came from personal reading, traditional anatomy books such as Gray's & Cunningham's, a couple Sports & Physiology books as well as specific training texts, such as Starting Strength and Strength Training Anatomy.

A big factor in my training came from my Father and Godfather. Both of them are (now retired) Physiotherapists, my Father was a big gym user and played high level Rugby (one step short of playing international), my Godfather was also a big gym user (he was a competitive powerlifter). Even had a couple words in with my Godfather's old training partner, who won a Bronze in the 1970s Commonwealth Games (Superheavy Weight Weightlifting) and was also one of the worlds top Highland Games competitors (he won the first World Highland Games Championship!)

So, a drive for knowledge and having some great contacts certainly helped me along a bit :)

17. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Get this book:

714456-L.

18. DirtySix

DirtySix

Jan 8, 2012
    Canada
    Ya that book is great. I use it to learn alternate lifts and supplement my routine. Good call on this one.

19. Right now, I don't have a lot of time so I'm doing a couple of different circuit training routines as follows:

5-10 minute jog for warmup, then 3x repetition of the two circuits listed below on alternate days, followed by 15 more minutes fairly light jog on the treadmill. 40 minutes.

Circuit 1:
    Plank: 45s
    Dumbbell single leg step up: 12 reps
    Dumbbell Y-Raise: 12 reps
    Goblet Squat: 12 reps
    Pushups: 15

Circuit 2:
    Side plank: 45s per side
    Offset split squat: 12 reps per leg
    dumbbell bent-over rows 12 reps per side
    dumbbell straight leg deadlift: 12
    Military press: 12

No rest between exercises in the circuits. Even though I'm using light weights it's a good workout. Really gets the heart rate up and I feel it in the muscles too. I'm aiming at keeping my overall fitness up in as short a workout as humanly possible. Anyone with kids understands. :D

I'll also intersperse this with mountain biking and/or running and/or snowshoeing outside whenever I'm able.

20. Strohsx

Strohsx

Aug 16, 2011
    45 min cardio stationary bike + netflix = win

I set up a system at work that works with my help desk.

User issues: 20 pushups
    AD/GP edit: 5 server rack pull-ups
    Switch config: 2 UPS battery pack deadlift (150 lbs)
    Web Update: 20 tricep dips

I just realized with a few straps I can od let-me-ins on an exposed rack.