1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What key?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I know this isn't specifically about tab, but I posted it on the General Instruction board and didn't get a reply yet (granted, I didn't post it that long ago)... So I thought I'd try here, too. I was wondering if I could get a bit of help identifying what key this song is in. I can usually pick out the I chord just by listening to it, but here I can't tell if it's in E or A (and I think the flats and sharps... well, just sharps in this case, of course... work out in either key). Thanks!

Brian

2. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    Hi Brian - I'd call that E - bassically a I-IV-V song with a iv chord for tension in there...

V - IV - iv (circles to chorus)

ii - V Pre Chorus

I - iv - IV - V Chorus

C h e e r s,
    gene

3. Thanks. I actually just found a licensed (not that that always means they're accurate) chord sheet that matches what we're playing, and it had it in E. That's the key I thought it was, but the song actually ends on the A and sounds like it resolves pretty well there... So that was just enough to get me confused lol. Thanks again, though.

Brian

4. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    it's common to end a song unresolved - lots of ccm and worship stuff does that. I was cool and now it's kinna overdone - but, hey... it's business! LOL

C h e e r s

5. Yeah, I know what you mean (we haven't played it in a while, but I think I remember we end Majesty, and a few others, like that). Usually, I can catch it, but this one was just enough to throw me off... Especially after I tried to be all smart and theory-like by checking the chords against the two keys, only to find that those few chords seemed to fit in either key. And I'm not familiar enough yet with theory (just some basic, beginner's knowledge) and common chord progressions to pick them out that easily.

Brian

6. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Listen for cadeneces they are your best clue. V->I and IV->I. The V7 chords are best indication of key. You mention church music they use Plagal cadence a lot, that is your Amein cadence IV->I.

7. I do remember the IV-I from my music class that I took several years back. I'm afraid I remember far less from than I should, though...

Brian

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021