1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what language classes should i take?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Dec 7, 2011.

1. i found out that i need 4 semesters of a language as a requirement for my major. also, even though others are offered at the university, my choices are French, Spanish, German, and Italian. (degree specific) :meh:

if i stay in OK or move to TX i can get paid for being bilingual if i take Spanish, but im not sure that is motivation enough.

id prefer to learn Latin or Hebrew, but they said no. :bawl:

what say you people?

2. Spanish is America's unofficial second language. If you're headed for Texas Spanish would be a big advantage in securing a job, and in this economy you need all the help you can get. So, definitely Spanish. You can learn other languages for fun in your spare time.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Spanish...don't be menso!

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I chose Spanish and wound up getting a minor in it. No matter where you are in the US it'll come in handy.

And even though I went to Oklahoma, my brother's at Tulsa for law school :D

5. Spanish seems to be a safe bet...in the US I know there's a rising demand for it as it's becoming one of the most common languages spoken.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Whatever you do DON'T take Latin. It's full of chicks going into nunnery and dudes studying to be priests. Not a fun crowd. I would suggest you study an asian language like korean or japanese. They have the sexiest chicks and best food. Then you can scrape together some funds and visit their country and tap all the sexy asian chicks.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Rising demand? Becoming one of the most common?

True, there are a lot of people in the US who speak Spanish, which makes it the most obvious choice for the OP, but I am not so sure about the claims you make there.

8. steven1068

steven1068

Oct 26, 2011
    Spanish. You will encounter a lot more people who speak Spanish, rather than French, Italian, or German (especially in Texas, it being right on the border).

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    They need to get with the times & add Cantonese to that list. Of the ones you listed, Spanish is the obvious choice, otherwise just do what Maki says. And I concur: Korean "chicks" are beautiful.

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    IDK ,xtml?

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'd actually say German. They're a strong economic power in the world market. Depending on what you want to do, if could be a decent language to take.

12. Spanish is taking over as the second language... plus it's fairly simple to learn. Latin and Hebrew would be ridiculous to learn and have absolutely no value unless you're going to be some sort of archaeologist or religious scholar.

My friend was an English major and taught ESL in Nagasaki for two years. He tapped a lot of hot asians. I was extremely jealous. It is very sad that where I live there are almost no asian or indian chicks. It sucks.

13. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Spanish, since it's offered, but I agree wholeheartedly that Cantonese is your best choice otherwise.

My wife is Ecuadorean so when we have a kid he/she will grow up bilingual, but I'm going to steer the kid towards Cantonese as early as possible. Speaking both will open a ton of doors.

If I had it to do over again I'd have taken Spanish instead of German.

14. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    You may want to consider what SOUNDS the best to you.
    As a musician, I would listen to examples of these languages and see what "speaks" to me. You surely can relate to some sounds better than others. The more you can relate to a language (musically, culturally) the easier it will be for you to learn and master it.
    Just my 2 cents.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Do what your friend did. Go.

16. What is your major?

For jobs that require you interact regularly with the public such as counselors, nursing, teaching, gov't, or hundreds of other occupations spanish IS the go to language.

My wife has her master's degree in counseling psychology and when applying for positions many postings require being bilingual (english/spanish).