What mic with an H-Clamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ColdEye, Mar 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    For the H Clamp users out there, what do you use? I recently ordered it and I only have a Shure sm57. I will be using it to mix on my amp, and for recording. Should I try a Condenser? I am also looking for something not too expensive. My pre amp provides phantom power. If I do use it live it will be without a drummer.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Although heavy, I have used the Heil PR-40 for several years usually not needing anything else for amplification. No phantom power needed, great sound.

It is a little heavy for the H Clamp, but I use a cord keeper velcro tie from the arm of the boom around the part that attaches the bass so the mic doesn't fall to the bass top.

3. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Audix D4 for a decent mic on the cheap. Schoeps CMC6 paired with a super cardio mk41 capsule if cost is not an issue. Lots of choices in between. :) I personally dig the Troll ribbon mic and the Remic offerings.

Ric Vice and Michael Eisenman like this.
  4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    I was going to suggest a Beyer Dynamic 88, but I see you already have a dynamic mic. I actually think that make Mics are quite good in this application. I feel they have less bleed than condensers. Maybe because they're not so hot

ColdEye likes this.
  5. ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Never thought of using a ribbon mic at all. Anything below 200 worth considering?

6. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Since you will need a high quality preamp with a lot of gain capability to boost the ribbon mic..it gets cost prohibitive for anything on the cheap. I had good luck with the H Clamp using a Shure Beta 57, though I think the 58 is real good as well. I used a couple of Beyers, the M69 and the M88. Both great, I like the M88. All these pics are kinda heavy for the H Clamp, the H clamp will drift..Monte's idea using a cord keeper is excellent, wish I'd thought of that.

Ric Vice and ColdEye like this.
  7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Cold Eye,
    Do you own the H-Clamp? What I've found is that it doesn't always work as intended, on my flatback bass. Because the back of the bass angles, it doesn't
    mount securely to the bass. Just something you might want to know.

Ric

MR PC likes this.
  8. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Good point. I stopped using the H Clamp because it wouldn't fit securely on my carved back bass. The carve of the back didn't jive with the clamp surface...it slipped off a couple of times. Gone now.

Ric Vice likes this.
  9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas

Weird. Never had an issue with my flatback Solano Klotz copy, even with it's "curves" never had it move despite using a heavy mic. I do tighten it with my hand REALLY tight but no marks or anything.

Michael Eisenman likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    While the H-Clamp is a interesting idea in principle it's not as great in practice. So it's good to borrow one to see if it works.

Ric

ColdEye likes this.
  11. ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Ric,
    I used an H Clamp a while ago, borrowed it from a friend. She uses it on her cello and I fitted it on my bass, worked really well. I was skeptical that it would dive into the body of the bass, due to the weight of the mic, but it held on really well. Didn't move at all. I forgot what mic she had but it was a bit heavier than my sm57.

Mr PC,
    Yeah, for now I just borrow preamps from my friend, I like the fethead she has, not sure if that is a preamp tho. I think I will stick to dynamic mics, or Condenser if it is worth the trouble. I was reading up on their differences early.

Nathan,
    Is there a big difference between the d2 and d4? There is a d2 locally for $40.

12. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    At it's current pricing, I think the Remic is an outstanding value I've been using the Remic Red for recording and the Remic Green FOH for concerts. The results have been outstanding. Mounting these mic's is so effortless.

Ric

14. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I have a D2, but I prefer the condenser micro-d.
    Sounds more airy too me.
    Maybe the D2 suffers more from proximity effect when it's close to the top.
    The D4 has deeper bass response I think.

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I tried a Telefunken M60 small diaphragm condenser - it's an FET mic. Also tried a Shure SM57. Both were on a Taylor AB-1 acoustic bass guitar, but that particular instrument didn't do well close mic'd. So I'm going to sell the H-Clamp (it's a 4-pole version so it does all instruments). PM me if you're interested as I'm wavering about it.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022