1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What % off retail do you think a Good Condition EUB should go for?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bobsax, Jul 16, 2012.

1. 30 %

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 40 %

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 50 %

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 60 %

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 70%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    What % off retail (not list) do you think a Good Condition EUB should go for?
    I'm thinking a high quality instrument like the;
    Yamaha $3515
    Eminence wi removable neck $3067
    BSX Allegro $2350

2. rudy4444

rudy4444

Mar 13, 2012
    Central Illinois
    The difficulty with clicking a radio button is that normally it's a sliding scale dependant upon what the purchaser's perception of "quality" is. My normal outlook is if the asking price is any more than 50% I'll wait until a better deal comes along. I might go higher if I really covet said instrument or if it's something that doesn't come on the market often.

3. bassoloco

bassoloco

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi Guys

The pricing could be very unexplainable, so it seems. It is not always that the more you pay the baetter you get. I had this issue went for not typical $1000 KK Baby Bass, my motivation was to get Ampeg BB like bass that is around $2500.This bass is cheaper,very well made though, not in china. These things are very confusing at times it depends what you are looking for. Bass functionality?
    :meh:

4. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I tried out a used BSX Allegro that was on the local Craigslist. He had wanted 1700 (it can be got for 2300) I showed him some examples of Allegros that went for 1100 and 1200 here at TalkBass and got him down to 1200 but when I saw the bass I nixed the deal.
    He was a second owner that had never taken the neck off. The instrument was really dirty. It seemed like the tuners were clogged with dust and when I loosened the strings (in a failed attempt to get the neck off) I had great difficulty getting it back in tune and it didn't sound the same when I did (??)
    I probably could have gotten it cleaned up but the filthiness off the instrument really turned me off.
    I may offer him less if it doesn't sell.

On another note somebody locally sold a very old BSX EUB (I think it's the 2000 model) in one day at the asking price of $1500. So perhaps that model is more coveted then the Allegro.

5. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'd look at the Classifieds Archive for basses I was interested in to determine price ranges.

Last year I came across an Eminence 4 RN (not on TB) that had minor issues—finish, open seam—but was otherwise just fine. The range in the Classifieds Archive was from $1400-2000-ish for basses in very good or better condition. I offered $1200 and got the bass. The seller got rid of the bass without having to fix it, and I got a good deal. We both were happy.