What picks do you use?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 40Hz_of_Love, Oct 29, 2006.

1. I wonder what picks do you use and what kind of sound does it give you?

For like a year now I'm using only Dunlop Big Stubbys 3.0 (I have dozens of them lying around my appartament) but I feel like experimenting.

2. fender heavy, there pretty and feel comfy

3. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    i like the thick 1mm dunlop small ones.

4. Clayton acetal, size 1.26mm

They trounce the Dunlop Tortex 1.14 imo, which is what I used previously

5. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    .96 MM gator grip

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I used to sooo trip about this.
    The past few months, it's been whatever I touch first in my pocket or spit out among the 3-4 I usually have in my cheek.

Edit: Yeah, I do not use really thin picks.

7. :help: I always thought a pick was a pick was a pick :)

I hardly use picks but I've got Alice brand picks at home for when I do.

I get a box of about 2 dozen for around 13 bucks australian. They come in 4 sizes ranging between .49mm and .81mm which comes in real handy when sharing with guitarists - plus they come in this nifty little metal box with sliding lid that I also get compliments on when "lending" picks out :D

Cheers,

Andy

8. Nope.

I like to use thicker picks, and find the thin ones to sound way too thin..I find that control is an issue when going from thin picks to thicker ones, but there is more of a solid connection between your hand and the bass, and eventually, with practice, you can learn how to get many different sounds with it, whereas a thin pick with be more consistant in a novice picker's hands..

Hope that helps...

9. Exactly. A thick pick played hard near the bridge gives a percussive piano tone and when you really loosen your grip it gives this weird kinda oriental sound. There's lots more. But maybe I'm just used to my Big Stubbies. They kinda feel like a part of my right hand now.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Dunlop Tortex .88
    DUNLOP+TORTEX+88.jpg

11. well if were doing pictures :) i got white pearl and abalone ones. heavy (its about 1mm)
    FenderPremiumPicksImage-f6b2df85deac180f148398247e518ed1.jpg

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Herco mediums. Vintage bliss.

13. Dunlop Tortex, usually the orange ones or the green ones.

14. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    white sharkfins (the medium ones)

[​IMG]

cheers
    Lucy

15. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I don't use picks for bass much, so I usually use the same ones as I do for guitar, which is Dunlop Tortex (1.0) (blue). I use these shapes: Regular, small tear drop and triangle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. eioua

eioua

Oct 30, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    I use Tortex .73, although a friend left a Ultex .66 at my house, and I think I like it more...

17. Dunlop Tortex .88 on the rare occasion I use a pick

18. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    When I use a pick, I'm using Dunlop nylon .73 or .60 depending on the tone I'm after. The .60 can offer a more fingerstyle tone without being quite so grindy. I don't really like real heavy picks as I think the tone is too sharp and "picky" sounding if that makes sense.

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Clayton acetal 1mm. Love 'em.

I didn't think there was much difference in picks until I tried these. They definitley have a smoother attack than the Tortex blue picks I used to use.

20. Clayton Acetal Jazz Triangle .50mm. Smooth touch, allows fast picking and almost eliminates pick noise on the strings, even with rounds.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021