Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I be practicing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I have been playing bass for about a year now. I am not taking lessons anywhere, but I know the notes on the fretboard and I know my scales. I can play root notes and some walking type rhdythms in my church band. I am a finger picker. I only have about 20-30 minutes each day that I can practice and I want to improve my technique, speed, and accuracy. What should I be practicing?

2. Learn Primus by ear. Then learn to read music. Then try to read Primus notation.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You should be practicing using the search feature on these boards....you'll need it.

also, practice posting in the right forum so as to get more on-topic responses,and to not inconvenience the mods.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Practice whatever inspires you.

Rob

5. try taking your scales, working out how to play 2 octave versions of those scales up the board and when you can do that, make it three octaves with some false harmonics. Thats my main scale work out, 3 octave scale up the board.

rowan.

6. Take a scale, say C major, and play the triads for each scale degree. Example, 1st degree is C,E,G, 2nd D,F,A, etc. Do this in all majors, then all minors, then diminished and augmented. This will see whether or not you REALLY know your scales. If you can play all the above, smoothly, without stopping, you wont be needing our advice anymore....:D

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I love a smartass! Moved.