Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do??? (Serious Thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Funkize you, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, As I have said I work at Knott's Berry Farm (Southern California Theme Park) as a Ride operator... I am getting really sick of where my shift Leader is Sending my EVERYDAY, I know Five Rides, all known as "Fiesta Village" The Dragon Swing, The Waveswinger, and the Merry Go Round are reffered to as "Roto 2" You would start on one, and go through those 3 throughout the day... Then There is "Roto 1" Wich is La Revolution, and The Hat Dance (Tea Cups?)... Bassically I hate Roto 2, I am ALWAYS stuck there, Plus I am REALLY starting to hate the guest's... Another thing that is irritating me is that I have not been Cross-Trained Yet... But Other people that dont do there job NEAR as well as I do (And they will flat out admit it) are getting Cross-Trained before me... Im not getting the Respect I deserve, nor am I getting treated like the exceptional worker that I am... I get Higher Counts, I do my work MUCH better, I can handle all the Problems I come across. EVERY new Person always asks *ME* how to do things, if they have a question, they come to me, if they have a Problem they call me... And now those people has pretty much been *Promoted* or Cross-Trained Before I have... Today I was put (AS always) to the Ride I hate MOST, Wave Swinger... AGAIN so after working for about 15 Min, I call up my shift Leader and say "Im Quiting... Right now... Send Someone to replace me or this ride isnt going anywhere" SO about 35 Seconds Later, My *PRoblem* is addressed ASAP, with not only the Shift Leader, but Three Supervisor's and an Area Manager...

The Area Manager took me over to a brake room, Sat me down and tried to Convince me to stay, and he looked at all my records and Congradulated me on being such a Diligent Worker... Then he asked me Why I wanted to quit... And I just told him I couldnt stand the guest's anymore... I just cant handle the Dumb questions, the Parents willing to Hit me because Their Kid is too damn short to ride... Which isnt a Complete lie, but was not the whole truth... He really dosent want me to go, so he gave me the day off, and told me to come back tommoro with an answer... I dont know what to say... Im lost, Confused, Nervous.... I cant Even AFFORD to quit me job...

So SHould I just tell him the "Whole Truth" or just leave? Should I demand to be Cross-Trained, or STFU and just work? I dont really know... But I dont want to be Cross-Trained Simply because I was going to quit... Im soo lost... :(

2. Give it another week and come back to this question again. And in the mean time, look for another/better job, so if you do quit, you can go right to that one.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tell him the truth!

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You should have told him the thruth right away, that you want to be cross-trained and promoted.

That was the perfect opportunity IMHO.
    Tell him this tomorrow.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't imagine why you didn't just address the issues with your management with him as soon as he sat you down to talk. Why even bother talking about the customers in the park and how they annoy you when your entire post just now (what I could decipher) was about how terrible your manager treats you and how everybody that you taught things to, that came to you with questions, is getting promoted over you?

If you have a problem that bothers you enough that you want to leave your job on a moment's notice, that problem needs to get hashed out (for better or for worse) as soon as possible. Otherwise, nothing will ever change. Not for you, not for anybody.

For what it's worth, though, an amusement park? I can't remember how old are you, but I don't understand why you're concerned about getting promoted at an amusement park when you could probably just find a better job with a little bit more looking where you weren't forced to put up with the same annoyances as you are now.

6. It sounds like you're in a pretty good position to bargain, if they're serious that they don't want to lose you. Now's the time to ask them to give you what you want.

I understand you not bringing up your issues at the meeting you had that day - it can be hard to organize your thoughts under that kind of tension, and it's often better to talk about these kinds of things after a cooling-off period.

Make a list of ALL the things you want from the job (apart from things like "The patrons have to be nicer") like you've mentioned cross-training etc.

Then out of that list figure out what the minimum is that you'd accept in order to stay. That's your bottom line. When you go into the meeting, tell them that there are some things you'd like to have happen to make you happy to stay, then lay out what it is you want. Ask if there's anything they can do about those issues. Let THEM come back with an offer of what they're willing to do from your list, then see if it suits you. You can then reach some sort of compromise, unless they stonewall you.

Most importantly, you don't want to waste your opportunity by being disrespectful, insulting, etc. Try to be positive and don't make it out like they have a problem - it's a problem you both share, so you can share finding the solution without letting blame get in the way. Be professional, be confident, know what you want and what you don't want and you've got a really good shot at improving your situation. Heck, maybe they'll even train you for management!

A lot of job interviewers will ask you if there was a time where you had a problem with your employers, and how you resolved it. This is to test what kind of character, maturity and ethics you possess. Try to imagine playing out your current scenario in such a way that if you get asked that question at an interview in the future, you'll be able to use this situation as a really impressive answer.

At worst, they won't accommodate you, and you'll be free to take a job somewhere else, which it sounds like you're ready for anyway.

Good luck!

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Everyone here is right on the mark, make sure you just address the issues with the management and mention your desire to be cross-trained and promoted. It really is the perfect opportunity to do so and you have a unique situation where they are willing to listen to what you want. The customers will NEVER get better so don't even think complaining about it is going to make any difference. I've worked in s***** customer service jobs and it doesn't matter where you go, or what you do people will still find a way to be a****. If you can't handle the people then it is definitely time to find another job because they will certainly not 'grow' on you, but if you're mainly just concerned with the respect and promotion aspect within management then there is no point in blowing this job especially if you cannot afford it.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Lay it all out for him, tell the truth! You literally have nothing to lose at this point.

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Tell him the truth. Be respectful but also be affirmative.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    There's good advise here. If your set on quitting make sure you have something else lined up....

11. aw man i liked knott's berry farm...hooray for jelly.
    Boo for crappy management.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    customer wise... truth is most of jobs where you deal with customers you get stuff like that happening... people blaming you for something that has nothing to-do with you... it always happens... (Car repair shop assistant for 4 years and fixing PCs self run business until I got fed up with customers :p believe me)

But ya tell your boss... look I worked here for a while and I am just tired of position with not much challenge... promote me... that what I would do...
    Let him know that you are not really bothered by customers (because anywhere you work this will happen) and you can ignore it, but you want a better job because you think you've done a lot and can handle a better position and besicly bored with out any chalange.. i think putting it like that might be better because they will see that you want to work:]
    It’s always good to let your boss know that before any rush decisions... many times they just overlook you not because they don’t like you or don’t think you are good but simply because you are always there and never say anything so they assume that you are ok...

"When you do something right people think you have done nothing at all" he he wisdom of futurama

Good luck man... hope everything goes ok

dont be afraid of chalange... if its too much you can always quit:] nothing to loose bro

Cheers

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Tell him you demand a better position or you're leaving.

14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for the Info, I decided to stay away from this thread so I could see all of the post's at once a better judge my situation...

But about the Guest's being all crappy... Thats just the Icing on the Cake, And I dont really mind it THAT much, it was more or less just a Lame excuse because I didnt really want to come out and Say I was unhappy because I havent Been Promoted yet... IMHO complaining about that sounds pretty weak... And it is a Fact that they look down upon you for complaining about that... SO I thought the best answer would probably complain about somthing that is almost nothing... (No, I dont know why...)

And about the amusment park... More or less I first took the job because it is a SERIOUS job to have when you are 18... Most Ride Operators are over 22... They usually dont trust anyone at my age, and If I were to move up, at my age it would look more Favorable in a Resume than "Worked a Ralphs for a year" (No offense intended to those who work at Ralphs... YOU GET MORE $$$ THAN I DO)

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    But make it sound like ur not complaining but offering service for them... saying that i can do more for you guys and i want more chalange is not really a complane... its an offer:] maybe i am wrong:p

also what smash said apology and all:] smash is smart!

Cheers

16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for all the info and Suggestions you guys! I guess I should just voice my concern and get it over with...

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    This is excellent advice on how to go about talking to your boss. Do what smash says.

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Let us know how it goes.