1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I play over this chord? Please Help

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thorplaysbass, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Our band is going to be recording this song tomorrow and I'm not sure what to play over this chord. It's simply just a note I'm looking for. I just can't tell what sounds good over it for some reason. The guitar player says I should play an F and I think a G# sounds better. I don't know much about theory. The chord is in the link, only about 4 seconds long.
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

*I don't know what chord this is. If somebody could just tell me if an F or G# would sound better, or maybe something different.*

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    "This video is private"

3. Sorry about that... Stupid mistake. I fixed it.

4. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    what notes are in this chord? from lowest to highest. also what key is the song in.

5. marcencabo

marcencabo

Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Sounds like a compound chord to me, a C# major over an F bass (C#/F). If you played a G# over that chord it would become a G#sus4. I think it depends on the song, but either an F or a G# would sound fine for the chord.

6. I don't know the key of the song. I don't really know the notes ethier, except that an F is the lowest note and I think a G is the highest. The other two chords are some sort of Bb and an F# as the lowest note. Starting on F# (for the lowest) to Bb back to the F# chord and then the chord I'm questioning. If that helps at all

7. Noodling acoustically on my bass in front of youtube and looping the video a few times while strumming, seems like C# sounds right. G# would be the 5th, so it might work as well.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Impossible to say without knowing what the rest of the song does. Where in the song is it, what chords before and after?

9. I apologize for not knowing much about the song, but thank you all for your help and quick responses. Lowfreq33, I don't know the exact chord names, sorry.

10. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Chords can mean one thing by themselves,and another in a progression.
    When you have this problem in the future,you must see where the song is coming from,and where is going to.
    Meaning you MUST PUT THE CHORD INTO CONTEXT.

It happens that maybe a single note is not good enough at this particular moment,then you should use a bass line that could end in the next chord's root (or not,could be 5th or 3rd),but again,without the context ,is hard to say.
    The scale or mode to build a bass line for this chord will depend on the other chords too.

11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Quoted For Truth

Dat dere is some of the most succinct advice you'll ever see on a music forum. Ignore it at your own peril!

12. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    C#/F would be more accurately written as either C#/E# or Db/F. I'm not sure what you mean by a "compound chord," but since an F (or, to be accurate, its enharmonic equivalent, E#) is the third of a C# Major chord, that would simply be an inversion.

That said, from the very brief sound clip provided and without having the rest of the song for context, I hear it as an Absus4 resolving to an AbMaj. I would probably play an Ab.