1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What size Roundover bit for 1/2 " PLY?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimo, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jimo

jimo

Jan 21, 2013
    For rounding the corners of a cab made with 1/2 " and what size for 3/4"??????? Thanks in Advance!!!! JIMO

2. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    3/8"

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    How much of a round-over do you want?

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I would use 5/16 to 3/8 for 1/2. 1/2 to 5/8 for 3/4.

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    It depends on what kind of corners you're using. I think, for example, the corners that BFM recommends for his 1/2" cabs require a 1/4" round.

6. Hi.

I'd rather match the radius to the hardware if possible than to go with a fixed radius.

Looks heaps better that way ;).

Edit: Emprov there beat me to it :).

Doesn't matter much if there's no hardware, obviously, use what pleases Your eye.

Regards
    Sam

7. jimo

jimo

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks Everyone! Great Info Here! Muchas Gracias.

8. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I'm doing a cab now with a 1/4" roundover. I would like to keep that roundover for asthetic reasons. The only corners I have found that possibly fit a 1/4" radius roundover are the early Ampeg corners available from FlipTops and also from Vibroworld (apparently closed at the moment - part number 2801-Xnp). These are listed at 5/16" radius and would probably do well on a 1/4" roundover with Duratex or Tolex covering.

I'm not sure I like the look of these corners but if I can't find any others I may end up liking it just fine. They are also relatively expensive. Are there any others?

Attached Files:

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The rule of thumb is to use a bit radius of 1/2 of the wood's thickness when the wood is up to about 1" and whatever looks best on anything thicker. On thinner wood, you need a bit that isn't too large for the bearing to ride on the edge unless you're using a pattern or that piece is attached to another piece that's attached evenly along that edge.

10. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks Commercial User

Jan 6, 2011
    Kansas
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    3/8 for the best fit of stock corners, cut just a tad shy. Most corners are made for 3/4 ply with 1/2 radius. Penn has 4 or 5 corners that work pretty well. A little hammer persuasion and they fit nicely on the metal ones.