1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What size volume and tone knobs for a Rondo SX bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lownote Floyd, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

May 31, 2010
    USA
    Thanks. I'd like to upgrade.

2. If by "size" you mean "shaft diameter", I believe they are 6mm.

You can check by pulling a knob off your bass and measuring. This will also tell you if you have split shaft or solid shaft pots.

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    On my "Vintage Series" Precision style, they are 6mm split shaft. But check yours to verify. In a recent thread on truss rod wrench sizes, we discovered quite a bit of variation. I have two SX basses with different size truss rod wrenches.

4. Knobs or pots?

5. Good question, because the pots are the "mini" kind, (same shaft size, smaller body) and if you get the regular size pots, they won't fit in the cavity without routing it out a bit.

6. The OP posted What size volume and tone knobs for a Rondo SX bass?, so I'm guessing knobs, not pots.

7. The inside diameter for a knob shaft is for the most part universal. Not sure about "upgrading" knobs anyway. Speed knobs? Chrome dome knobs? Skull knobs with LED eyes? :confused:

OTOH, replacing the cheapo mini pots that SX ships with is a pretty common "upgrade".

It would be helpful to those of us trying to be helpful if the OP clarified what they're asking for.

8. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    The dimension crucial to an upgrade is the inside diameter of the knob determined by measuring the pot shaft diameter. Split or solid shaft determines whether a set screw or friction fit knob is appropriate.

9. I have yet to see an SX ship with a solid shaft pot. Most of their basses used to ship with standard Strat knobs, not sure about now.

So which one does he need? :D

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Big knobs. Or little ones, medium perhaps? Humm. Big knobs. Lol.