1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What song do you usually warm up to?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ibycan, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama
    I know that not everyone warms up to songs but I thought it would be interesting to know. I'm primarily a pick player so I like warming up to fast songs.

Speed metal is my thing so Megadeth all the way

Holy Wars
    Public Enemy #1
    She Wolf

For Finger style:

The Clairvoyant
    Seek and Destroy
    Creeping Death

investario likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I usually do scales, chromatic scales, and arpeggios up and down the neck. Maybe boring, but warms up the fingers, and gets you thinking both up and across the neck.

3. jacksonev94

jacksonev94

May 12, 2012
    Lynchburg, VA
    This is my go-to for fingers or pick:

4. Waterfalls - TLC

Loads of licks, all over the fretboard... And it's fun to play :bassist:

5. I sometimes run scales and things other times I don't warm up, never needed too - my hands are loose from exercise and mobility training in the morning; mostly I noodle around or do bits and pieces of songs - lately I've been throwing out the Seinfeld theme, parts of Dream Theater tunes and some random funk grooves

6. devntran

devntran

Dec 24, 2013
    California
    For Whom The Bell Tolls because I feel like a badass playing it and it gives me am excuse to use distortion

SirChallsA likes this.
  7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    To me, this does not constitute warming up. To me, warming up means SLOWLY and GENTLY preparing the hands and fingers for the vigorous work ahead.

Diving headlong into fast playing from the get go, can only lead to problems IMO. The hands/fingers need a bit of time to adjust.

Personally, before I even touch the bass, I do some gentle stretching for a minute or two. Then I slowly play some chromatic scales or arpeggios for another two minutes or so. Only then, do I consider that my hands/fingers are ready for some real playing.

YMMV.

Gluvhand and SunnBass like this.
  8. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    The Trees, Horse With No Name, some original funk things, some music from the animated Transformers the Movie.

9. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    With my buddies I like to warm up to something we can jam to for a few minutes: usually "Hey Joe", or one of our originals which has a long bridge/solo section that we noodle to for a looooooong while.

10. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama
    Holy Wars is my slow and glently :)

11. basskal77

basskal77

Jan 14, 2014
    For fingering Bach's Cello Suite Gmaj, for slap Galetta's l'illy Time, for tapping and more Miller's Mr Pastorius.
    Cheers

12. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Bluesy scales / Sabbath-style riffs, for the most part. Helps me warm up and gets me in the mood.

Then I'll sometimes do Tom Sawyer, for the hell of it. Relatively simple and feels good to play.

13. Billie Jean, Oye como va! Grove practice!

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Usually it's what I'm obsessively trying to nail down. I've been enamored (again) with What is Hip.

It's a pretty brutal warm up song...

15. The First Michael Jackson or Ozzy song that comes to mind

16. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A chromatic run up the neck, a big scale/triad exercise my teacher taught me, Electric Feel by MGMT, Misery by Maroon 5, and a couple of RHCP tunes to get my fingers limbered up.

17. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Black Magic Woman and How Many More Times are my two 'warm up" riffs for no other reason then I have fun playing them.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I warm up to the first song in our set list. Warming up isn't a big deal...just play lightly for a few minutes and you can use anything for it. I would NEVER warm up with something super fast, though...that's a good way to lock yourself up.

AltGrendel likes this.
  19. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I mostly noodle to warm up--but I often throw in BTO's "Not Fragile" and Mission Impossible--and maybe some other riffs like those.

20. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I warm up with the song that's usually first in our set so I don't forget the chord substitution in the second verse and because it's the hardest to play.

I line-check with "Skin Tight" by The Ohio Players because I want any black people who may be in the room to think I'm cool.

IGotGas and repoman like this.