1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what strings to use on Ampeg '67 AMUB-1?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 1975Bassist, Dec 14, 2018.

1. 1975Bassist

1975Bassist Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I know that players of the AMPEG AUB/AMUB-1 often recommend D'Addario Chromes. Wondering other strings players use, particularly if one is looking for a more upright sound?

2. You might want to try the GHS Tapewound for the upright-ish tone you're looking for. Unlike most tapewounds, they're flatwound under the tape, specifically designed for a darker, thumpier tone.

Products - TAPEWOUND - GHS Strings

Randy Ward likes this.
  3. I have an old set of upright strings my teacher gave me cut diwn on mine. How about a set of D'Addario NS Design electric upright Traditional mediums? They are upright strings a little shorter than standard strings. The strings for the NS Omni bass might work well and are cheaper because the Ampeg is 34 1/2 inch scale, Omni is 34. BTW the tailpeice on the Ampeg can handle the large ball ends of upright strings.

4. 1975Bassist

Jan 19, 2018
    Thanks for the logical and experience based suggestions. I've spent a boatload on bass strings trying to find "my tone." Will buy both and test them out. Tried Thomastik's but no double bass sounds on my Ampeg. Let you know what I find out.
    thanks again
    RFH.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're never going to get it to sound just like an upright. But they can get a kinda sorta similar vibe. The guy to ask is Bruce Johnson, who's the world's foremost expert on those basses.

Randy Ward likes this.
  6. 1975Bassist

Jan 19, 2018
    I did, but no response so far (it's been over a week).

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well I know he's slammed, plus dealing with health issues, so that may curtail his output on here.

8. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
  9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Back when I had one of the AUB-1 basses Bruce recommended Chromes both for balanced tone and because they fit the longer scale/extended tailpiece design well. I really dug Chromes on that bass!

JimmyM likes this.
  10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also on that note- Bruce Johnson is a hell of a nice and helpful guy and obviously THE resource on these basses. I picked up my AUB-1 as a young punk visiting NYC in the 90s having never even seen one before (or ever having played a fretless) and fell in love at first sight (pretty much emptied my bank account to buy it- would probably be 5x as much today I’m a similar vintage shop!). This was pre-Talkbass, but I came across Bruce’s posts/pages on the net and emailed him to get tips on a weak pickup and tons of other questions and he wrote back TONS of great info with no money to gain from the conversation (it was just a side hobby for him then). He said they used to get custom LaBella sets made for owners of these, and I think I did originally get a set of those from him but that he started using the Chromes after some issue with the LaBella orders (maybe just time vs price, can’t remember).

Selling my AUB-1 was the dumbest gear choice I’ve ever made bar none...