1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What the heck happened to SX Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I put bass playing on hold for the past 6 or so years for family reasons, but I was browsing Rondo now and then over the past several months and it seems like their SX stock is just kinda gone--are they done with SX and just clearing out what bit remains or waiting on more?

I'll be legit bummed if they're done with SX, though--I bought several of these some years ago and they were fun and cheap and decent quality for the price. Are there any other "offbrand" basses that have kind of taken their place as cheap-o alternatives to piddle around with if you don't want to drop more than 150-ish bucks?

2. safikex

safikex

Jan 16, 2011
    Riga, Latvia
    If you are from Europe, you might take a look at Harley Benton guitars. A have a cheapest P-bass from this company ( about 100 bucks, i think ) - and man, it sound and plays really good after some minor tune up.
    I guess only Thomann sells them in Europe. Didnt see any of these guitars in America, though

Jokei likes this.
  3. jackn1202 likes this.
  4. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    harley benton is thomanns house-brand. they also sell all the joyo pedals under that name too, so i guess you can get the same guitars/basses with another name on it elsewhere...

5. safikex

safikex

Jan 16, 2011
    Riga, Latvia
    Yeah, i am sure that this is true. Anyways, it is easier to buy some items from a big company, that has good warranty politics.
    They have a lot of stuff by the way.. even some sort of luthier tools under HB brand

6. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    As for Rondo and SX - I believe they are just between shipments but you can always email Kurt at Rondo and find out for sure . He and his staff have been very friendly and responsive in my experiences dealing with them . Kelly

kohanmike likes this.
  7. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    sure, and i think you need that for such cheap mass produced stuff, when theres chance you get a dud that slipped qc...
    thomann is awesome in terms of warranty politics and customer service.

8. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    As I understood, Kirk is waiting for the solution about rosewood thing on SX.
    Meanwhile. AliExpress is busy.

gebass6, kohanmike and safikex like this.
  9. safikex

safikex

Jan 16, 2011
    Riga, Latvia
    had a really good experience with Thomann when i was at their shop and when bought some small things from online shop. BUT, i had a problem when they could not dispatch the HB guitar i ordered for 2 weeks, and they could not provide me an answer when will it be shipped. The guitar was in stock, by the way. So now, i am looking at Andertons.

Anyway, this is wrong post to cry about it :)

10. safikex

safikex

Jan 16, 2011
    Riga, Latvia
    I really hope that they will bring the MusicMan style bass back.. hard to find that one for project.

11. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    i haven´t ordered a instrument there, but i think it was just bad luck in your case...
    all in all, every interaction i had with them went really smooth
    but as you said, wrong thread for this...

12. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I've been way out of the loop for about 6-7 years now--is there a rosewood shortage or trade issue Rondo is dealing with (asking because someone mentioned an issue with Rosewood)? Also, I'll check out Harley Benton basses--has anyone heard much about the J&D basses? I've heard that name tossed around another forum and thought maybe someone here could elaborate as if they're decent modders or just utter crud.

13. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Aah ok, thanks for clarifying. Kind of a bummer but I can also understand the evironmental aspect--trying to protect rosewood from being clear-cut to extinction and such. Still, as a bass player, that does make it harder to find cheap knock-offs to mod up or just play around with (I have an affection for cheap basses even after owning some mid-range brand name ones).

safikex likes this.
  14. safikex

safikex

Jan 16, 2011
    Riga, Latvia
    I think that i understand what are you talking about. You can call me cheap, overall, but i find the most fun to buy, play, mod, toss and show no mercy to a cheap instruments. For 100 bucks you recieve more joy, than for one thousand.

15. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Agreed. Plus I'm super, super broke these days (with a special needs kid and one income because someone has to be at home full-time for the kiddo)--a 100 buck bass is just about my budget, and if I scuff it up or whatever I don't have to worry about "crap, just screwed my resale value investment". That's why I love SX so much :) hope they can work out a deal to get some new stock in soon, but there are a few other options to try so I may give myself an early Christmas present

16. I had an SX Short scale Jazz bass that was really nice, I bought it as a backup bass for my original musicmaster bass. It was really fun to play and I loved the maple neck.

But when I got the 2nd musicmaster off CL for a sum I couldn't refuse ($100) I sold the SX.

Love my musicmasters but I miss that SX once in awhile too. Thought it was a shame when they went to those horrid "Ursa" models with that unbelievably ugly headstock.

I have bought cases from Rondo, good deal for the cost.

17. Guitarfetish.com had some Xavier basses. Not bad at all. Really.

JGbassman, andawun, patrickj and 2 others like this.
  18. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1 for guitar fetish as well. I imagine the US/China "trade war" fallout also has some effect on the SX stock, but who knows for sure.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  19. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    What’s crazy is I never even heard of SX until I joined this site.

Plectrum72 and lowendrv like this.