what the hells this??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thunderider, Mar 22, 2011.

1. thunderider

thunderider

Mar 16, 2011
    IMG-20110321-00058.jpg
    im trying to find out weather this is a bass amp?,i bought it a couple of weeks ago for £25...($45?) form a local cashconverters as i was desperate for an amp,as u can see it only has a gain switch and a graphic, on the back it has source input,2 speaker outputs and a line out,if i plug my active ibanez its quite loud....but if if plug my passive ric shaftesburry copy in its quite quiet,im just wondering weather its a guitar amp of some sort of pa amp?,if so how would i get passive basses to drive the amp??,im running a 15 onit atm....but am gonna run 210 as well when ive built it,i got some green label celstions

2. dermihi

dermihi

Feb 14, 2011
    Vienna, AUT
    what are the eq frequencies?

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    looks like a simple power amp... Not intended for bass or guitar but may work....

4. Looks like an old monitor amp from back in the day. Peavey made a very similar model. Used with a line out from the old style PA heads to power monitors and provide some feedback control.

5. Codymb

Codymb

Mar 26, 2007
    Burlington, NC
    Yeah, tdub0199 is right. I'm pretty sure it's just a very basic Power amp. Without knowing more about it I couldn't tell you if it'll do what you want it to, but it probably will.

6. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    It's a power amp, not an integrated amp, so you need a pre-amped signal to feed into the power amp input. Your active bass likely has a pre-amp. Your passive bass does not.

That power amp may work okay for bass with the right pre-amp and speakers.

7. Robby Hoinsky

Robby Hoinsky

Dec 28, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Art of Noise Audio, fEARful™ builder
    Yup, sounds like a power amp, you'll need a preamp.

Robby

8. Hi.

Custom Sound :D.

Good luck on finding any info other than the general bits and pieces over the internet, built by the same company that assembled Hiwatts at one time etc.

I second the monitor amp suggestion, and also the need for a line signal to drive it.

I have a small CS guitar combo, and while nothing special, it's built like a tank and a cute little piece of history.

Bassman Paul might be able to shed some light on the company, IIRC he used/repaired some CS products back in the day.

Regards
    Sam

9. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Is it tube or SS?

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Not me Sam, I've not seen too much like it. I would try a cheap pre-amp such as one of the ART TubeMP series. I'm guessing it'll be 100W into 8Ω and 150W into 4Ω. Certainly it won't get too too loud into 15Ω.

11. Hi.

:) Ok.

It must've been some other smaller UK amp manufacturer I was thinking about.

How's the weather treating You BTW, we have finally (unfortunately temporarily though) climbed into the positive side of the Celsius scale :). But the spring is definitely here at last.

Regards
    Sam

12. thunderider

thunderider

Mar 16, 2011
    i thought so,its pretty loud with my ibanez in it,as its active,and im just using a single 15 as we practice in a smallish room,so id be better looking for a cheap pre amp?

13. you could also just turn down the volume on your ibanez

14. yeah, surely a power amp intended for monitors. I've seen lots of peavey and a few crates and sunns like this. I doubt it is a staggering amount of watts or mindblowingly vintage sounding.

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, that's the situation.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I surely has been a long Winter. Our snow's all gone BUT we are supposed to be getting more in the next day or so. :rollno:

17. thunderider

thunderider

Mar 16, 2011
    turning the volume down is not an option......never back off!!!!!

18. thunderider

thunderider

Mar 16, 2011
    pedals dont act as preamp? i have arai delay/chorus/compressor but im presuming not enuff power?

19. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check the FAQ linked in my sig for more info about preamps. Some pedals can do the job, but not all can.

20. thunderider

thunderider

Mar 16, 2011
    hi so would this pre amp pedal drive the amp? as ive been offered on cheap......Behringer Preamp Booster.cheers

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021