1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do with old builds?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Apr 1, 2015.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    I've got a couple of instruments that were for my learning/experimenting builds and have reused the hardware and electronics on much better builds. I don't want to just toss these away since I put so much work into each one but at the same time they are taking up space in my home/shop.

What are some suggestions on what to do with these?

2. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Builder of the Wastelands Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    I save them in hopes that they will be useful, and have found it convenient to have them on hand. You never know what will crop up that an old body, neck, or stripped build will be useful for.

One idea is to make one a test instrument that can be used to test pickup positions, different electronics options, hardware, etc.

MattZilla, mikeyjm2 and kaoskater08 like this.
  3. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    take them way up in a helicopter and throw them out the window

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have a couple sitting in the closet as well. I will probably just throw them away at one point.

5. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Builder of the Wastelands Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    If that ever happens PM me and I will pay shipping to get my hands on them. ;)

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If someone can salvage them to make a usable instrument, offer them up for free. If they are better than that ask for a few bucks and sell them as factory seconds. I have done this and usually people are psyched to get a bass they can monkey around with for short money. One of the first basses I bought was an Acacia "factory second", in the vicinity of $400. It basically needed a new finish and some odds and ends. It turned out nice.

If they are unsalvageable, burn 'em. Or turn them into pen blanks.

Joe Kyle likes this.
  7. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Me too. I'll gladly act as a disposal service. :)

Joe Kyle likes this.
  8. Give them to a kid who want to learn how to build guitars. They can experiment on them..

9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I, also, would be interested in quality instrument pieces, available for reasonable cost, that could be finished by me too, as well.

If you (or Hopkins) have any such, might be a good way to garner funds to build more things...

10. post em up!

11. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I agree with Robert; give them to local kids who show an interest in messing around with instruments.

12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    ^ Actually, this is probably your best bet. Find local schools with shop or engineering study, and talk to the teachers. You'd likely find some takers, and get a tax write off in the process.

Or, post 'em your local CL or similar as "works to be determined by finish builder" or some such, and sell them to peeps looking to learn the skillz involved. Find quite a few takers that way also I bet.

13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I wouldnt consider my junk to be quality pieces. I have a warped body, a cracked body, and a neck with a twist in it. They are all early builds when I didnt know my stuff so well. They are basically firewood.

Dadagoboi and kaoskater08 like this.
  14. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have had people at the bar i play at ask if I have any "rejects" so thy can just hang them on the wall as art. When you are out playing ask around and see if anybody wants one.

Gilmourisgod and kaoskater08 like this.
  15. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Donate them to Will It Blend?.

mcgreivey, wraub and kaoskater08 like this.
  16. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    They would need a bigger blender :p

17. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Recycle them.

18. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    Donate them to your local high school

kaoskater08 likes this.
  19. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I like that idea. Just got into it myself (finishing up 2nd one now) so I think my first one would make a good test bed. The second one I actually plan on playing pretty regularly once I have it tweaked properly. The first one I rushed and it shows, although it is playable.

kaoskater08 likes this.
  20. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    I like that idea, but I don't think any of the high school's around here have a shop class. I'll have to double check.

7dollarbologna likes this.