1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do with this bass.. (Squier P/J)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BlackFenderBass, Jun 4, 2012.

1. BlackFenderBass

BlackFenderBass

Aug 9, 2009
    Hey all,
    I have this old Squier P/J here:

Fy98o.jpg
    yWZkA.jpg

And I want to do something with it. Anything. I want to make it as original (tone and style) to a 60s era Precision as possible.. but I need suggestions. Right now I have no game plan. Go!

2. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Tort pickguard, tug bar and chrome covers. Flatwound strings. Get yourself an underpowered tube amp. Have a blast!

3. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    ^+1

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Tort on black is just plane ugly IMHO, a black pick guard would really set it off. Especially if you put an ash tray and pickup covers on it. A Fender 62 P bass pickup wouldn't hurt either.

5. Are you saying you want to remove the bridge Jazz pickup, put two controls on it and move the input jack to the pickguard? Also, that has a Jazz neck so you would have to buy a Precision neck to make it correct. If so, just go buy a Squier P bass, it is so much simpler and you won't ruin an nice Standard Model. Squier Standards are nice instruments, don't ruin it.
    Rocky

6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    If you're looking for a pickguard, good luck. A new one will almost rival the value of that bass.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Huh? When did pick guards start costing that much? I remember paying about $15 for a pick guard that fit a VM p bass.

8. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I just bought a very similar bass. Here's how a 13-hole Fender P pickguard fits it.

[​IMG]

Impossible to work it out without huge neck gap or routing showing, so it needs a custom jobber. I priced them out and they're almost what I paid for the bass, which was a pretty good deal especially when considering the fretwork the previous owner did. Maybe his is worth more than mine with the matching headstock, though.

9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    If you choose a black guard, nobody will notice the gap at the neck, because the body is black too!

I suggest just playing it as is. If you want the vintage vibe, buy a CV or VM precision and put pup/bridge covers on it. Or do what I did and build your own from parts! Let's you get exactly what you want in your bass at a lower price tag (if you wait around for deals and buy used) than a production bass that you don't get to choose what you get. Mines painted with lacquer, so it's doing the natural checking (because i'm dumb and left in my car on a hot day then brought it in an air conditioned building) and wearing (i sweat a lot!) giving it a cool vintagey vibe. You won't get that with a urethane finish unless you're really careless.

10. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005

This is the advice I would follow, personally.

It's a fine bass "as is", if you want a 60s vibe get a Squier Classic Vibe 60s. I got one for $200 used and after a day of working on the setup it plays/sounds great with flats on it.

11. outyonge

outyonge

Jun 4, 2012
    A Fender 62 P bass pickup wouldn't hurt either.
    [​IMG]

12. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    While you're at it, a push/pull pot for a series/parallel mod never hurt anyone.

Integrate into whatever wiring you have.

Converting all of my instruments to this as parts arrive.

13. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    This is what I did with mine. Not 60s at all but just wanted to share the experience of modifying it.

This was a project that turned out great but in the end, it cost me 3 times the original value of the bass. It became my favorite. Sounds and feels great. I kept the original pickguard, body and the neck plate. Here are the replacements parts:

1-Mighty Mite Jazz neck. The rosewood fretboard have been pressed another time, the edges sanded and the rest treated with Tung oil.

2-Hipshot tuners with drop D.

3-EMG X P/J. The body needed some modifications to make the pickups and the battery fit.

4-Babicz bridge. This is something I would recommend.
    Great hardware!

Cheers

14. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    The pickguard on the right looks like the one that's on my Squier P Special, and it's in the classifieds right now if one of you owners of these things might be interested.

FS: P and Jazz Pickguards

photo-10.jpg

I see that those mirrors you guys have are 13-hole, but I think the main issue to accommodate is the pickup placement and routing on these basses.