1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do...

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    all

last night, during rehearsal, I had to sneeze. Not a big deal, given the occasion. However, it got me thinking about whether this has ever happened to you during a performance - and it may be something audible such as a simple cough - and whether, apart from obviously avoiding circumstances like allergies to dust, for example, is there an etiquette around what to do, during a performance, if this does happen. Simply get on with it, as though it was just something that happens?

Regards to all

2. Unavoidable - bend over behind your bass. Temporarily - wait for a loud passage. If you can survive that long you might avoid altogether with great will power. Perhaps blocking nostrils with finger. But, what to do with bow? Or, what to do with big green blob hanging from nostril and you don't have a tissue. Answer- blues in B flat????

Lee Moses likes this.
  3. I usually have some allergy medication with me, as well as tissues and cough drops. Almost never necessary, but it's nice to have.

A nose pinch sometimes works, otherwise try to muffle the sound with your arm.

4. Don't pinch off a sneeze--your head could explode.

Dudaronamous likes this.
  5. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    :bag:Exploding head OR death stare from conductor..uhmm...let me think...

6. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    So your in the middle of the bass solo of the chorale in Beethoven's 9th...firmly hold your nose, walk out the side door...and never return! :(

7. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    What an "exit" though!.. :)

8. Dbass926

Dbass926

Jun 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    The audience is generally aware that the orchestra members are human beings. I would say if you can avoid sneezing loudly during a sensitive moment (like a wind player's solo or a grand pause) then it's probably going to loom far larger in your mind than anyone else's...

9. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    Wait for the trombones to come in....

neilG likes this.