what to do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by herpes, Jan 20, 2006.

1. herpes

Jan 20, 2006
    Austria (tyrol)

i started playing bass in september. now i'm in a band and i just have got my 30W Ashdown Perfect 10 Amp.

maybe i can play on their pa but i want to buy a good amp with good speakers.
    but i'm not good informed (sorry 'bout my bad english) - i don't even know which things i need and what is important.

could you please give me some tips?`

2. K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    You probably need an amp with at least two times the total amount of watts of what the guitar players have. More than double that amount would be even better. Low frequencies (bass) requires more power to reproduce, than what a guitar needs.
  3. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    I can't remember the website, but some site does a deal on an Ashdown Head and some speaker cabinet for a really good price... that would probably set you up well if someone could drop that link.
  4. I'd recommend getting around 3 - 400w worth of head and cab, and going second hand.
  5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    That might be www.avatarspeakers.com you're referring to.
  6. herpes

Jan 20, 2006
    Austria (tyrol)
    thank you. but what equipment do i need. is a head and a speaker enough? what are the perferences, i mean how many W must a speaker have when the head has for excample 400W
  7. Pretty much any bass cab will do well with 400W running to it. The key is to listen to your rig while you play refrain from pushing the cab to "farting". If you haven't heard it before farting is an ugly sound that comes from your cab when you push too much bass through through it. You will definitely hear the difference when you have reached that level.

Based on your experience level, I would choose a sturdy 410 (4 10" speakers) cabinet to pair with a 400W head. A 410 is large enough to cover just about any venue, especially if you have some PA support for the bigger venues. Furthermore, that setup offers both ample bottom end and "cut" so you can be heard in loud situations. Peavey cabs for instance are considered very rugged and can be had for a reasonable price, especially used. Other brands would works as well and budget should definitely be your guide.

All you really need is a head, cab and a speaker cable to connect the two.

Go to your local music store and try out some rigs to get an idea of what gear produces the sounds you like. Go ahead and play on some stuff you may not be able to afford as well, that way if some of that stuff comes up used you know what you are buying/bidding on.

Foremost though, read all the FAQ threads stickied at the top of this forum. The knowledge contained there will help you understand what rig you need and how to get the most from if once you have made a choice.

good luck
  8. herpes

Jan 20, 2006
    Austria (tyrol)
    thank you very much - all i need more is money :D (the next vacation-job will do it :D)
  9. I see you are from Austria so strike the Peavey comment, I'm not sure whats available to you but your local dealer can show you whats available at various price points.