1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RalphieBoy, Aug 10, 2012.

1. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Jul 25, 2012
    Fort Smith, AR
    Hey guys and gals, I have a few quesitons for ya'll.

I have two american standard four string P Basses. (sounds silly I know) I got them both at a really good deal and I just love an awesome p bass. The only thing is I've been off loading a lot of my bass guitars... went from 7 to now only having 3. Now I'm debating going down to two maybe even one for a little bit. I have a lakland 55-02 also. So what I'm thinking do I really need 2 p bass, which are set up differently with one having flatwound strings and the other round wounds. So, should I just go down to one or keep the two. Been debating getting a four string jazz with active/passive pickup set up.

So, my question is what should I do and what would you guys do in my situation with debating getting rid of one of your favorite basses ever (even though you have another one just set up differently so that you can just switch on the fly to get a different tone)?

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I keep two basses so I can have one with flats ready to go. It's a pretty reasonable thing to do I think.

I say keep both of them.

3. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Jul 25, 2012
    Fort Smith, AR
    Thats what I'm thinking I just don't want to end up with 7 basses again (was pretty cool though). What do you think about the jazz bass idea? Wouldn't mind a 4 string active/passive set up. But then again I want a fretless bass too....

Can't win...

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hi Ralphie,
    I'd suggest:
    get rid of your Lakland 5er look for an active/passive Jazz bass
    (be it American Deluxe or Reggie Hamilton's) and stick to your twin Precision attack!

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Jul 25, 2012
    Fort Smith, AR
    Thanks Wallace and kevteop.

Wallace do you really have over 15 bass? What's a Reggie Hamilton like?

6. FileBass

FileBass

May 9, 2012
    i'd prefer having one active jazz bass. i'd prefer metro sadowsky over american deluxe. quality craftmanship!

7. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I love Sadowskies, I do. And I'm planning to buy a Metroline UV70 alder/rosewood 5er.
    It's wonderful. But there's something stopping me (and it's not the price)
    Sadowsky electronic is incredible, the bass sounds smooth and displays growl at the very same time
    Problem being the Vintage Tone Control
    Sadowsky electronic is wonderful but, disengaged, the bass sounds unconsistent...
    Which is not the case with Fender American Deluxe!

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: yes Ralphie!
    Actually I got 20 bass and 40 are behind me...
    I today added an Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro and a Squier Mickey Way Mustang.
    They're at my modster's now:
    I asked for a Hipshot GB7 bass extender and a push/pull volume to switch off 2 band eq. on the Thunderbird Pro and a Hipshot BT7 and a push/pull volume to switch series/parallel on the Mustang soapbar.

8. FileBass

FileBass

May 9, 2012
    I have tried sadowsky twice but never turned VTC off completely. Can you explain more on sadowsky sounding unconsistent? Does that happen only when VTC control is conpletely off?

I am trying to get a hand on one but had no chance. They are quite rare in Thailand. Ive waited for nearly a year asking them for a sunburst 4er.

9. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    @filebass
    Don't get me wrong, I said I love Sadowskies, they're excellent, but it's a matter of craftsmanship, that's undefeated
    The electronic make the bass sound "true" and powerful at the very same time (infact their "pre" is somewhat an aftermarket bestseller: a very close bassplayer friend of mine bought one to put... In a StingRay 5er!!!) Unfortunately, passive mode, it's a completely different world... An ordinary one. Even the Metro UV I've found, and plan to buy (I'd have to sacrifice one of my Yamaha Attitude: do I?) pulling the VTC stays flatter than the electronic eq set flat!
    Like I said... Not the case with Fender American Deluxe...

@ralphie
    Not the case with Reggie Hamilton Fender Jazz as well. Custom Shop versions apart (way too pricey for the many of us out there) the MIM standard sports a split American series pickup in the front, a Ceramic Custom Noiseless jazz pickup in the bridge position, an 18v 3 band equalizer and an on/off switch that doesn't empt the sound out when disengaging eq.
    And it's less than $. 1,000.00 worth for new.

Available all black or 3TS

Cheers,
    Wallace