1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to pair with 2x12 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrainOfJA, Nov 19, 2018.

1. I have the opportunity to pick up a used Avatar B212. I have been a swear by the 4x10 guy for the past 20 years, but am looking to change it up a little. I never thought about anything other than 410s until I picked up a used Avatar B210 this summer, and fell head over heels with it (pair it with my Ampeg 410 cabinet for bar/beer garden gigs, solo for practice). I've tried playing with a 15" cabinet, but never really got the "feels" for it.

Then along comes this used B212...Aside from the fact it's an Avatar (now hooked), I'm wondering how well the low end would come through if I paired it with the B210 rather than lug the Ampeg around?

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't see any problems: you could always consider getting the 212 and then actually trying it to see for yourself. or, you could let others chime in to persuade/dissuade based on their biases. your call. of course you'd want to let us know how you like both the cab and any combination. good luck! :thumbsup:

BrainOfJA likes this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You dont know until you try it.

I have Mesa cabs, and I hated my 210 ontop of my 212, because each cab requires different eq'in.

4. Ideally you could get Avatar to make you another of the 210 for the vertical stack of dispersion goodness so common these days.

I am a 210 vertical stack believer!!

Loads of Avatar towers in there.

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. Thanks for the input. I decided to pull the trigger, and give it a shot. At worst case, if I don’t like it, I can sell or trade it later on

biguglyman likes this.
  6. I gigged for years with a full SVT Classic rig. Old age and shear laziness have sent me to a PF 500 and a 2 12. I've done about 4 gigs with them and have no complaints. Both bands are fairly loud and head room is not a problem.

BrainOfJA likes this.
  7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd get a matching Avatar B112 (do they make them?). A 312 would sound pretty good.

8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Another 212?

9. so far the B210 sounds pretty good with the B212. We'll see how it sounds live in a couple of weeks.

10. Breeze3

Breeze3

Sep 10, 2003
    Nanuet,NY
    I use an Avatar 2x12 as a stand alone with a GB Shuttle 9.0 and get more than enogh low end with Sad and SR5 and I was using a GB 6x10. I also have a Avatar 2x10 and never felt I needed to add it to the 2x12

BrainOfJA likes this.
  11. I've found when mixing dissimilar cabs, each requires its own preamp and power source. You have to eq each cab for what the other is missing. It's a long process that is usually more trouble than it's worth. I had a Bag End d12d that would play well with whatever cab it was paired with, even from the same preamp source. When mixing cabs from one company I would avoid 410+115. I prefer 210+115, 410+215, or 212+215.

12. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    In general, I think that this is the best way to set up a "4x10"...

...but, since you've got the 2x12 on the way, yeah, go ahead and try it. You might find that you like it even more than the 2x10, or that it works great as a standalone. As you said, if you don't like it (or if it doesn't work for your situation), you can always sell it later on.

Pay attention to impedance (Ohms) and power-handling of the cabs if stacking the 2x10 and 2x12. If they're both 8 Ohm cabs and power handling is reasonably close, you should be safe. If one is 4 Ohms and the other 8 Ohms and/or the power handling is very different, you'll have other considerations.

If you like the cabs individually and want to stack but don't like how they play together, I'd keep the one you like more and get another cab to match that. Two 2x10s or two 2x12s. Or, as @chris_b mentioned, a 1x12 -- three 12s is a pretty neat, modular stack that lets you go small/medium/large with two cabs and gets that third 12 up higher. If you do that, though, you have to watch impedance -- if the 2x12 is 4 Ohms, you'll want the 1x12 to be 8 Ohms so that power is distributed evenly to the speakers -- you'll also want to verify that your amp will handle a 2.67 Ohm load.

If the 2x12 is 8 Ohms, you'll want the 1x12 to be 16 Ohms (possibly a custom order -- check with Avatar), but any solid-state amp that will handle a 4 Ohm load (most of them) should be fine with the resulting 5.3 Ohm load. Unless your amp is fairly powerful, though, you might find a 16 Ohm 1x12 a bit limiting.

13. Both cabs are 8ohms so running together isn’t a problem. In fact, all of my cabinets are 8 ohms. Gives me tons of flexibility when pairing with one another in the eternal search for the best balance of volume and tone. Together the 212 and the 210 is plenty loud. In fact, I was running them together last night to play around with tone/pedal/eq settings and my wife came in the room and said “I don’t know what you are doing different, but it is way louder than normal”

I’ve finally got a day off from work tomorrow and plan to sit down and try some different amp/cab combos to see what I like best. Maybe throw in a 4x10 with the 212 for ***** and giggles, and see how the SVT PRO3 compares to the MB500

14. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    So you already got the 2x12 and (so far) like it okay with the 2x10? Being that they're both 8 Ohms, is the power handling fairly close between the two, or does one handle way more power than the other? Won't be an issue unless you get to the point that you're pushing the "weaker" cab, but good to be aware of.

Two things I'd try while you're messing with the 2x10+2x12 stack: 1) See if the stack responds in a fairly predictable way to EQ (compare to doing that with the cabs separately). Sometimes, things can get a little (or a lot) weird that way with different cabs stacked -- sometimes not. I've experienced both. 2) Walk around them a bit and see if there's any extra weirdness when you get off-axis (again, more than with either cab solo).

If you like the combo and it's well-enough behaved for you in the above respects, you've probably got a winner for live performance. If not, you can always pick the cab you like better and get a second one of those.

Have fun tomorrow!

15. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Sometimes folks run into sound issues with matching Avatar cabs cause Avatar offers different crossover network options for "matching" cabs.

16. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I didn't know that. That would be worth checking into when picking up a matching (or "matching") cab.

17. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Just for example
    SB126 – Avatar Speakers
    for the SB126 cabinet you can order the loaded crossover network designed for 2.5kHz or 1.6kHz.

I would not try to match matching cabs (respectively buy another one) yet loaded with a way different two-way crossover network

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  18. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Ah. I've never owned an Avatar speaker (though I did play through a 2x10 that I thought sounded decent enough -- I don't know what the drivers/specs on it were, though). One hopes they'd be able to advise their customers as to the implications of going with one crossover or the other.

19. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I think they don't bother too much on TB feelings

BrainOfJA likes this.
  20. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Maybe not, but I'd hope that, if I asked, "What differences would I notice going with one crossover or the other?" that they'd be able to give me a decent answer. I guess the answer would depend on which of the three available woofers you chose, too.

On the one hand, it's cool that they offer you options. On the other, it might necessitate doing some research to make good choices. Perhaps they've vetted their options to make sure that all will work at least reasonably well in that box? I don't know enough about the company and don't know enough about the various speakers, etc., to tell just by looking at the options. I'd have to ask some questions (like box volume and tuning -- or talk to players I trust who've tried the cab -- or both) and do some research.

In fairness to them, most of the opinions I've read from people who've tried their cabinets have been fairly positive.