Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to Practise

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bass_noobzor, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Bass_noobzor

Bass_noobzor

Sep 2, 2005
    Ontario
    I'm new to bass and i don't know music theory, and i don't know what to practise playing.. do any of you know any easy songs to play, or something easy.. i have only been playing for two days now

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I suggest finding a good teacher to sort out what you should be practicing. For a beginner, I would recommend a couple easy scales, some finger dexterity drills, and a couple easy songs in the styles you like, which I don't know what they are. What do you like to play?

3. +1

If you are serious about learning, a teacher is the best way to go. He will be able to evaluate you and get a lesson plan down for you. He will also be able to show you proper technique and nip any bad habits before it becomes one.

The beginning of learning theory is learning the notes on the bass and learning scales. You can find a lot on scales here by searching the stickies posted at the top of this forum.

A good teacher will be able to work in a song to learn in you lessons. Usually it will be a song that will have an example of what you are learning so you can see how it is applied.

If you prefer to learn on your own, you can find a lot of information here by searching around this forum and the technique forum. There are also plenty of books and videos on the market for beginning bass, although I still recommend getting a teacher.

4. Nirvana4ever

Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    I also suggest 1: finding a teacher. Teachers help you a lot. They won't just help you with music theory, they will answer questions, help you learn songs, and basically do anything to help make you a good player. 2: starting a band. In my expierience, you learn most from playing in a band. Whether it's a school band or a band with friends, it will teach you a lot about playing and finding your true sound 3: as of learning songs, first learn how to read tab. Once you know how, go to http://www.mxtabs.net/basstabs.php for learning songs. Some songs I suggest are: 1)Iron Man by Black Sabbath 2)Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana 3)Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne 4)Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers 5)Monkey Gone To Heaven by The Pixies. Those are some good easy songs that are great for beginners. Some of the first songs I learned. Then when you are ready, build up to harder songs like: Master Of Puppets by Metallica or Jerry Was A Racecar Driver by Primus. Don't push yourself. It takes time. Go at a steady pace. You'll be an excellent bass player in no time. Rock on.