1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to request for backline cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Aug 22, 2012.

1. What do you guys who travel often request for a backline cabinet? I will likely bring my Woods MI 200-8 which I usually pair with different EA cabs depending on the gig. I figure I'm going to be limited to the mass-produced readily available stuff, which I know next to nothing about, since it's geared mostly towards electric bass. All of my research has gone into boutique, niche-market DB-friendly cabs and I know I won't be able to get anything like that.

The volume requirements will be significant - Latin Jazz 7-piece group. Any help will be appreciated!

2. I ask for a 4x10, SWR...there are a lot of them out there and they sound great

3. untitledtopher

untitledtopher

Jun 17, 2010
    philadelphia
    Employee, Gollihur Music
    I honestly don't worry too much about the backline, I've found you get what you get. I always bring my Baggs Preamp/DI so at least I can have some semblance of my sound going to the FOH and a passable sound on stage.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well, I've logged lots of gigs with a Walter Woods amps, driving backline cabinets. The SWR 4X10 and a Woods isn't a very good match. IME, an SWR 4X10 has a baked in voicing that you just can't EQ away. You can tame it buy backing off the lows, cutting the highs, and rolling out some midrange, but the end result is either a muffled sound with no edge, or two little bottom.

Ric

5. Interesting...

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I'm not a DB guy - but I'd think a PA cab would be a best bet - like a 2x15 + horn (SRX725) or ? When I'm playing jazz on the EB I'll often just bring a powered PA speaker and a passive DI...

7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    RK,
    Not sure that you would need a 2X15, if you're amping a Double Bass, but this is a good solution, since most, if not all back line companies have Mackie powered speakers and even QSC K10's and 12's all he would need to take is a pre amp and the Walter Woods as a backup.
    This is a much simpler solution than wrestling with a cabinet designed and voiced, for Electric Bass,

Ric

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    He wants to use his own head so that's why I mentioned a passive cab. He also mentioned needing major stage volume so I'm not sure those particular active cabs would be enough on the low end? A KSub under a K12 would do it :cool: .

9. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    GK

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    RK,
    Well, you're right with a 7 piece Latin Band the K10's and K 12' might not keep up with that. On the other hand a, Walter Woods MI-225-8 only puts out 225 watt's into 8 ohms. So, it's not exactly a powerhouse either, but the P.A. cabinet is still a great idea since their very common and would be pretty easy to acquire.

Ric

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1

12. I'd settle for anything that handles 500-750 watts, bring a DI, and hope for a competent soundman.

13. Sorry, my model is the MI 200-8 Stereo. It's 225W into 8 ohms but I run it bridged for louder situations, or mono with a 4 ohm cab. Not sure of the power with those loads, but I think it's 700W bridged and 350W per side into 4 ohms.

14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    T-Bal

That's a horse of a different color, isn't it. I still wouldn't recommend using the SWR Cabs, but you may have very little say in the matter. I'd look into what Road Kill was talking about, as it could work.

Ric

15. Yeah, for that matter I could use the Woods as a preamp into the powered speaker, mine has 2 xlr outs and I can make use of the semi-parametric eq.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

16. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    The Hartke 4-10 cabs are can be found just about anywhere in the world and are very common items supplied by companies that do backline. They are not bad for DB, not real hi-fi by any means but they do give a sound that works well enough for me. Your Woods Amp should sound fine with one. An SWR would be just fine too.

17. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    In Europe, at least, I've found Ampeg, GK and Eden to be the most common backline cabs...none of those are my fave, but of that group, I just tough it out with one or two GK 15's...safest bet for me so far :)