What tuners go on this neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ComicBass, Aug 7, 2020.

1. I have had a Squire P-bass Affinity series with a broken trust rod sitting in my closet for years. I decided to finally buy a neck for it and turn it into a bit of a project.
    I planned on using the hardware (tuners, string tree) from the Affinity bass on my new neck but the screw holes dont line up.
    Anybody know what tuners will fit this new neck?

Attached Files:

2. I bought the new neck on reverb. the seller said it was off a 2020 Squire Precision Bass.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

if the screw holes don't line up then this is a perfect opportunity for you to think about the tuning machines that you really want! you don't need the screw holes to line up to have a great playing ax --- make it play! first! if it can't play for you then the holes don't matter one way or the other. :D

wait for the tips on how to deal with the screw holes. there are great ways to deal with stuff like that. but if it was me = i'd just play on --- with great tuning machines that i like! good luck with the (w)hole thing! :thumbsup:

Vinny_G and ComicBass like this.
  4. Thanks! I guess the only reason I didnt just try to put in my old tuners is cuz not only did the screw holes not line up but they would have overlapped the existing holes making them lose viability.
    I love your advice of getting tuners I want. I'm actually looking at that right now.
    I suppose I should figure out how to get rid of the existing screw holes so they dont intervene with the installation of whatever I buy.
    I dont have the tools to drill new post holes though...

JRA likes this.
  5. JRA

you'll need some way of making new pilot holes for the next set of tuning machines screws. the "overlapping" is corrected by toothpicks, glue, sandpaper, etc. --- common stuff! easy peasy.

the most important part is that you get the ax playing the way you want. ;)

ComicBass likes this.
  6. I just looked up that toothpick trick you mentioned, perfect. Thanks a lot! I'll be doing that tomorrow

JRA likes this.
  7. JRA

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ComicBass likes this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You could also forget about old type tuners and use Hipshot ultralights.

They won’t cover the old screw holes though. many just fill the exposed holes with dowel. My preference is to simply put screws in the empty holes. They look better than most fill jobs: a bunch of off color wood divots on the back of the head would drive my ocd crazy.

A bunch of tiny, shiny screw heads look much better, seem purposeful and, dare I say, are best for metal. Win win.

ComicBass likes this.
  9. Thanks! Yeah I'm gonna end up buying some Hipshot or Schaller tuners I think. Just gotta get some calipers and measure these peg holes so I know what to look for.

10. Apparently these peg holes are too big for anything schaller or hipshot make... so I'll just fill the holes and use the old Squire affinity tuners I have. It is really really really disappointing but that's all I got...
    After this I may never get another fender (or squire) instrument again. Kinda sad.

11. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    That doesn't sound right. What does the hole diameter measure? It should accept what are referred to as 1/2" tuning machines. The holes for the bushings should be 11/16" / 17.48mm in diameter.

ComicBass likes this.
  12. Nope. They measure exactly 45/64"
    Or 18.02mm

13. I measured both the holes themselves and the outside diameter of the bushings that fit them (old squire affinity bushings).

CatchaCuda likes this.
  14. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I had to grab a bushing real quick.:)
    Mine measure 17.88 millimeters outside, 14.15 millimeters inside.

I think you'd be fine. We're not building race engines :D

ComicBass likes this.
  15. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Hmm. Variety, I have another bushing intended for 1/2 tuners. Measures 18.28 outside. , 14.1 inside.

Surely something will work in your neck. If you find yourself needing any of the bushings I mentioned, let me know, they're spares. I don't want paid for them.

ComicBass likes this.
  16. So that is over 1mm difference between the new bushings and the actual measurement of the hole. Do you think that will still work? I worry that it will be forever loose and forever horrible.

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No problem. Same as my experience, the bushings were too small. I wrapped copper shield tape on the bushing to take up the slack. Works fine.

If you order direct from Hipshot they actually make 18mm bushings that you can spec for your order. You’d have to contact them directly to place the order.

ComicBass likes this.
  18. This has been a headache. I'm gonna put this project aside for a little bit till I can throw more at it. Thanks for all the helpful advice, guys.

19. So I did the toothpick and superglue trick to fill the old tuner holes. Installed the tuners off of the broken Affinity series. It looks and feels and sounds great. thank you so much to all of you who helped me out with info. I plan to continue modding this bass. prolly go for pickups and then a bridge and then the tuners.
    Ill prolly post a thread showing all my basses with some explanation at some point.
    Thanks again to all of you. You guys are the best