1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What tuning do you use the most(4-string based)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ElectroStompbox, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Standard

104 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. Dropped D

9 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Down 1/2 Step

12 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Down 1 step

9 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Down 1/2 step

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Down 2 steps

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    BEADGC

3. BEAD

4. BEAD

5. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I tune half step down when I practice with the band, but when I am home, my basses are tuned to whatever I am listening to.

6. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    Drop C

7. Standard, dont need to drop tune with my 5 string and the songs we cover.

8. Delude

Delude

Jan 28, 2007
    afk
    BEADGC

Sometimes BEADGB as you've got the EADGB from a guitar, makes for easier strumming.

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    DGCF or CGCF in my band, or standard (or whatever tuning they use) when playing along with cd´s.

10. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

BEAD

Looks like the 2nd most popular tunning (not counting the non-4 string replies) is not listed in the poll, and ½ step down is listed twice.

11. I play standard EADG 95% of the time...
    have one bass tuned BEAD
    also occassionally play drop D (DADG)...

My wishbass strung with D'Addario Nylon Tape wraps can handle a gazillion different tunings using the same strings (neck is a veritable baseball bat)...
    I can tune it EADG, BEAD, using the same strings...I've even messed with tuning it in 5ths (like a cello), except I tuned it B F# C# G#

12. I tune to BEAD, then I drop the B down to an A, I use rotosound swing 66 roundwounds on it, so I gots great clarity.

13. Drop B (BF#BE) on my T-40 and Thunderbird. And low F# (F#BEA) on my P-bass. I have a short scale Aria that doesn't get used in my band, so it gets tuned to whatever I feel like, usually between drop C and standard EADG.

14. vincenzomauer88

vincenzomauer88 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    My favorite is Eb. Similar to standard but has a unique darkness to it that I like. Also eases up the tension a hair. Not too loose just comfortable.

15. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    QOTSA and Kyuss got me downtuning everything two steps and I haven't gone back since 2005. I don't have a 4-string right now and rather than dropping the entire tuning of by 5-string I just raise it 1/2 step, B>C. And yeah, I don't offset what would normally be the G a half-step like the guitar would - I just leave it.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Standard, EADG. Did tune down a half step once upon a time when was in a band that did that cause it helped the singer better.

17. EADG unless the song i'd in D... But that dont happen much

18. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, DR Strings, Source Audio,& Fishman
    D,G,C,F or C#,F#,B, E

19. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I went into the dropped-D tuning kicking and screaming. The band I'm uses it all the time (and I still go standard on a few songs even when they don't! :spit:). I'm actually getting used to it.

20. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Currently standard, but I was in drop C when I played the heavy stuff for a long time. Now I'm in the process of converting my bass to BEAD tuning. Just have to put the new nut on and I will be there!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021