Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type strings to get?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nastyn8c, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I am getting a Warwick Thumb 5 BO, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of strings to get. I demoed one at my local GC playing through an SWR 550x, 4x10 and 1x15. I play with a 4x10 and 1x15, so I figured this would be pretty close to what I would sound like. I really loved the sound when I boosted the bass a little and cut the treble a lot.

That should give you an idea of the sound I am looking for. Would Chromes be the best for my application?
    What do you guys think I should do?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Have you ever played a bass with flats on it before, it is a totally different feel and sound then rounds; I would see if I could play a bass with flats first [fender fretlesses usually are strung up with them] before deciding, Chromes are great flatwound strings but they are still flats.
    Personally I really don't think flats give you more lows then rounds, but have more low mid punch.

Also a good way to find what you like is to experiment, so it might be cool to get a few single strings of a bunch of makes [say E or A] an try them.

Yes, Chromes have been my main string for 13 years and I use them on 8 out of 12 or my basses; I have tried other strings but haven't found a flat that is "better" [although some that are just as good], but, I still think that a better flat could be made, like if TI would offer jazz flats in "normal" gauges [something like: 130, 100, 80, 65, 45] so the PLAYER could decide what the tensions of the individual stings should be.
    Sorry for the rant.

3. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    This is exactly what I thought when I saw TI's tension chart. Everything looked great - except that the A string is the floppiest! Why can't TI make an A string with equal tension to the B and E strings?
    I did like the tension on that .136 low B though :smug: .

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    In defense of TI, I have never played a light gauge of strings that has such a big sound. And they do not clank and buzz like most light gauge rounds.

5. Yes, the TI Jazz Flat does have a big sound while Chromes have a better feel tension wise.
    I presently have the TI Jazz Flat on my new Fender MIA Jazz with S-1 switch. Incredible big sound with S-1 in Series mode.
    They got rid of most of the Growl of the Jazz which I am needing at the moment.
    Before I am asked "why I bought the Jazz". I like its versatility and feel of the neck over a P.

6. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Exactly why I always prefer Jazzes over Ps. Plus I really just don't like the look of a P.