1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type strings to get?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nastyn8c, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I am getting a Warwick Thumb 5 BO, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of strings to get. I demoed one at my local GC playing through an SWR 550x, 4x10 and 1x15. I play with a 4x10 and 1x15, so I figured this would be pretty close to what I would sound like. I really loved the sound when I boosted the bass a little and cut the treble a lot.

That should give you an idea of the sound I am looking for. Would Chromes be the best for my application?
    What do you guys think I should do?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Have you ever played a bass with flats on it before, it is a totally different feel and sound then rounds; I would see if I could play a bass with flats first [fender fretlesses usually are strung up with them] before deciding, Chromes are great flatwound strings but they are still flats.
    Personally I really don't think flats give you more lows then rounds, but have more low mid punch.

Also a good way to find what you like is to experiment, so it might be cool to get a few single strings of a bunch of makes [say E or A] an try them.

Yes, Chromes have been my main string for 13 years and I use them on 8 out of 12 or my basses; I have tried other strings but haven't found a flat that is "better" [although some that are just as good], but, I still think that a better flat could be made, like if TI would offer jazz flats in "normal" gauges [something like: 130, 100, 80, 65, 45] so the PLAYER could decide what the tensions of the individual stings should be.
    Sorry for the rant.

3. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    This is exactly what I thought when I saw TI's tension chart. Everything looked great - except that the A string is the floppiest! Why can't TI make an A string with equal tension to the B and E strings?
    I did like the tension on that .136 low B though :smug: .

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    In defense of TI, I have never played a light gauge of strings that has such a big sound. And they do not clank and buzz like most light gauge rounds.

5. Yes, the TI Jazz Flat does have a big sound while Chromes have a better feel tension wise.
    I presently have the TI Jazz Flat on my new Fender MIA Jazz with S-1 switch. Incredible big sound with S-1 in Series mode.
    They got rid of most of the Growl of the Jazz which I am needing at the moment.
    Before I am asked "why I bought the Jazz". I like its versatility and feel of the neck over a P.

6. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Exactly why I always prefer Jazzes over Ps. Plus I really just don't like the look of a P.