What was your first amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joey3313, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I searched and could only find a thread for old guys on this subject soooooo:

What was your first amp?

Make, model, year, power?
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    A Vox 'Pacemaker' SS guitar amp. Bought used in 1976 with paper route money. :p
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1971ish Ampeg Tube Fliptop... 100watts into a 15"

Man did I hate it! In hind sight, it needed a cap job & tubes.... I just thought it sucked ;)
  4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Ampeg SVT-III Pro --> Mesa Diesel 2x15.

Kinda overkill, definitely, but my music minister (who used to be an old-school rock'n'roller for 20 years) said it was a great setup to get. :)
  5. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Oh yeah, and people, don't forget to post wattage!
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Peavey, Minx, circa 1998, 30w into a 10.

Used it for practrice in a band that never left the practice room. I actually had it at ear level about 3 feet away and could barely hear it. Everyone else said they could hear it fine.

Yeah, right.

Needless to say, the project was short lived but the amp was great...just the wrong application.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Peavey Microbass, my brother handed it down to me. 20W 8" speaker. i am planning on getting a TNT for my next amp.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Silverface Bassman Ten, 75 watts into 4 ten inch speakers. This actually belonged to the church, and we sold it when we fell on hard times.

I had no amp for three years, then bought my own. Peavey TNT 130, 130 watts into a single Black Widow 15. Loud amp, served me well for almost 15 years. I sold it to another Talkbasser last year. Last I heard, it was almost 20 years old and still going strong.
  9. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Mine is a Yorkville XM200 (bought a couple of weeks ago)...drool...

I thought it was pretty elaborate.

The stupid thing is, since it's really nice (in my mind), I want to play it more...if that makes sense.
  10. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Peavey "Basic 40" 40 watts with a 10" speaker.

My first band worthy (barely) setup was a used 200 watt Peavy head (not sure of the model....tons of knobs and all of them adjusted it to sound more crappy) and a Peavey cabinet with an 18" and 2-10" speakers (model 1820 I think).
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a westbery 25 watt head and 15" matching cabinet
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  13. emor

May 16, 2004
    1960's Alamo tube head w/15" cab.
    Not sure about wattage--loud enough to use with HS stage band, but not enough for rock.
    (I did an image search, but didn't find a pic).

Another piece of equipment I wish I still had.... :(

Don't get rid of anything! :scowl:
  14. nice amps, i like them, there was one at my old school, my first amp was a peavey rage, i know i know, was gift from my stepfather, i couldnt afford an amp when i started...but then i bought a behringer bx108.....id like one of those peavey minx's, but the one at my school was old as anything, by the looks late 80's early 90's
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Peavey Microbass! I forget what the wattage was on that thing but it seemed capable of standing up to my friend's tiny little Crate guitar combo. ;)
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hartke HA3500, 350 watts at 4ohms from 1999.

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hartke 2000, although I returned it real quick and upgraded to the 3500. This was '91.
  18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My first was a converted Hi-Fi amp from a console stereo...15 to 20 all-tube watts (maybe) through two very tight 12s in a home-made sealed box. This was 1974.

My first real bass amp was a mid '70s Carvin solid state bass head...maybe 200 watts through two 15 in. EV SROs. The Carvin was replaced with a Marshall Major (200 watts of KT88 mayhem). The Marshall/SRO rig is the one that I miss most!!!
  19. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Traynor Bassmate 10. 10 watt practice amp. Great vintage sound. Still have it.
  20. I used a Peavey Rage158 guitar amp as my first amp for both guitar and bass. (40 wts SS)...my how times have changed, lol