Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wayner, May 24, 2005.

1. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    A 1985 fender squier precision bass (made in japan) is available for less than $100

Would you buy it? Yes or no?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Without playing it first? No chance. You can get new Essex Ps for about that price. Getting a 20 year old Squier does not give the best chance for high quality.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I disagree. The Squiers that were made in japan 20 years ago were good quality basses and guitars. I would definitely buy it.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm with you. The early to mid eighties squires are a whole different monster than the ones made since. They can be very good instruments. It's well worth a look...and some of them are known to have great necks.

5. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    Still, I wouldn't consider it without playingi t.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All ten million of them? I wouldn't buy a twenty year old electric bass without trying it first, and even if Squiers had better quality control back then, it's still going to be iffy if it's a good one or not. I'd still put my money on a new Essex P that I could return if it wasn't a good one than a twenty year old used Squier that I couldn't.

Can you try the bass out, or is it an eBay bass?

7. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I can try it out. I've been looking for a beat-up but playable/good sounding p-bass for a while, but haven't been particuarly interested in buying a vintage instrument. I'm interested in other ppl's experiences with MIJ squiers from that era.

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Mid 80's Squires are selling on average around 150 - 250 on Epray. Providing there are no structural or electronic probs with the bass I would grab it. You don't like it....then unload it on Epray.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, all ten million. No, in general.

It's not "if Squiers had better quality control", I assure you that they did. They are nothing like the Squiers put out today. The Japanese Squier is a much higher quality instrument than a $90 Rondo. I am sure of it. I have played them.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Go for it. Any bass for less than $100 that stays in tune and plays fine is a good buy in my book. If it sounds like poo but plays good, another $50 you have a mighty nice bass.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I agree with the comments about 80s Squiers, many of them were really very good. At the time a lot of people rated them as good or better than some of the instruments Fender were selling at the time owing to (reputed) quality problems in the US - yes, that was what people were saying at the time!

If you can try it and it seems good or has the potential to be good, buy it! If I found one over here for that price, I wouldn't hesitate.