1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgbassman, Jan 5, 2012.

1. So here goes, I own a 76 P all original and in good condition, I don’t use this bass to gig with, I bought it about 3 years ago as an investment for $1800. I have an opportunity to trade the P bass for a 2 year old Spector Euro 4LX Bass in showroom condition plus $700 in cash, probably a $1700 value. If I took the trade I would use the Spector as my main gigging bass and probably blow the cash on gear at some point down the road. If you where me, would you make that trade?:confused:

2. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    No way, dont do it

3. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    If you do not use the P-Bass and would use the Spector, I say go for it! A bass in hand is worth seven in the closet.

4. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hell no, but I'm a Fender guy...

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I concur

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    What you'll be doing is trading a saleable bass that will hold/appreciate in value for a bass that will be a struggle to sell and will depreciate in value. You should get a much better deal than that Spector+$700. Spector+$1,100 at least.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd bet one day you'd end up wanting the Fender back, and probably trading the Spector for it...save yourself the hassle.

Although, not to burst your bubble too badly, but if you bought a 76 P for $1800 as an investment, you might want to hang onto it for a while longer...like a lot longer

8. :eek:Trade and if you dont like it i will swap ya for my billy sheehan bass!!!:D

9. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    NOPE

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Not a prayer. No.

11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    No

12. Thanks Bob I knew I could count on you:)...seriously guys I appreciate the running narrative and I'm going to weigh everything you have to say into my decision. The really weird thing about this is that my 76P was actually owned at one time by the guy offering the trade and we didn’t know that until I met him to see the Spector and we got to talking about past basses. He e-mailed me a photo of him with the P from about 10 years ago and the serial numbers match…very strange indeed! I do also own a 67P which is my holy grail and would never even consider letting that go, I've owned her for over 30 years. She's retired from live gigging but sounds incredible on tape.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, that was a sub-optimum move as an "investment," though he will probably make money eventually.

I've been flipping gear -- successfully -- for over over forty years and the #1 rule is and always will be, "make your money on the front end," i.e., never pay market (or in this case, probably above) in hopes of it going up. You find a long deal below current market so you can't lose in the long or short haul.

14. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    I hate when people mention option C, but it sounds like the best bet is for you to keep the P and get the Spector. Time to walk some dogs in the neighborhood or something.

15. I have been itching for a Spector Euro for a while. Saving the Attitude for the right one. I think you should do it. You have the holy grail and that outrageously awesome sounding jazz. This would be a whole different tone to add to the arsenal. I know the resale value is a factor to a lot of folks, but if i find something i really like and someone wants something i never use, it's a win situation for me. I hate having stuff i never use, hence finding the Yamaha a new home. Good luck with your decision!!

16. Funny but option C was where I started...I never even thought about moving the P.

17. On second thought maybe the term investment was the wrong thing to write here, it was more about knowing I could always get my money back if I decided to sell it down the road, and I still think that to be true. I don't have the time, desire or $$$ to invest in basses, although I wish I did:bassist:

18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I looked up that model of Spector on fleabay. Not only are there no current bids on any of them, there have been no sales in the completed listing section.

I have no comment on whether this is deal is good value, but it would not bother me to swap out that P. As another poster mentioned, it will be some time before it is worth a lot more than it is now. Get a bass you will play.

19. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    I wouldn't... just put it in a closet and take it out once a month.. leave it for a collector item...

20. PLAY THE P!