Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

??what would you get??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StOneLiBeRaTiOn, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Hi
    I'm goin to be buying my first rig really soon. Ive hit my local music shops and found some stuff I liked. Playing through what they I have narrowed down my selection. For a head I am thinking an ampeg B2-R or the SWR WorkingPro 400. For a cab I am looking at the ampeg BSE-410H or the Yorkville XC410. I don't know a hell of alot about heads and cabs but I need somthing that is going to give me some decent volume as well as sound super good for a good price. If any one owns any of this or has had experience play with any of them please give me some feedback and what combination you would go with.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Have you checked out Avatar yet? Great cabs, www.avatarspeakers.com; you can prolly pair those up with either a Hartake, or more prefferably an Ashdown.

3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'd pass on the Ampeg. Especially the B2-R. I took one on trial once and I thought its volume and tone were both a total joke. I ended up finding a Genz-Benz GBE600 for $325 and it was my main amp for quite a while. Depending on how much you're looking to spend, I'd also consider a used SWR Bass 350 (not the 350x). You can get one for $350 if you keep an eye out. They have killer tone.

For a cab, I'd look into Genz Benz. I've owned a ton of their amps and cabs over the years and love them. Their cabs are kick-ass for the price. Used, you should be able to find a 410 of some sort for around $300 or so. I just sold one for $275 about a month ago. I bought an Ampeg BXT-410HL4 with reconed speakers for $325 and it was the best sounding cab I've ever heard. Keep your eye out for good deals on eBay or your local shop.

Jake

4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Late model GK head with the Avatar cabs. Can't go wrong!

5. Thanks for the replies... so definatly a no on the B2-R?? I didn't get a chance to try any of the GK stuff, I'll see if my local shop has any for decent prices. Also the ampeg BSE-410H and the yorkville xc410 does any one have any experience with those. As for the heads has any one tried the new SWR workingpro 400. Ive always felt sketchy buying expenseive stuff of Ebay. Speakers especialy. So thats no my cup of tea.
    thanks again

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    You can usually get about 40% off on the GK stuff online if you look around. Sometimes better. Definitely the best heads for the money as are the Avatar speakers.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would suggest trying GK and Ashdown heads with Avatar speakers, or look used for something even better.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Forget the SWR Workingman. You will be dissappointed. That is pretty much a givin. There are so many choices and I will carry my flag for Schroeder Cabinets These cabinets are simply fantastic. Amps are another thing though. What do you want? EQ'ing, Tone shaping, Watts. etc?

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Scour ebay for an old Sunn Concert or Coliseum bass amp. They usually run 300-500 tops.

I'll second the Avatar cabs. Good cabs for the money