1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whatever happened to sax?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by avvie, Feb 21, 2021.

1. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I've gotten back into recording again after a 16 year hiatus, and since I can't shred solos I've been using sax samples for melodic breaks, sometimes layered with other instruments.

Back in Ye Olde Daye (the 80s) sax was everywhere, and I really loved the way post-punk and new wave bands were using alto sax as if they were trying to mock Kenny G from the other side of the charts.

Many fads have made a comeback... Is it time for the sax to come back yet? Or has it happened already and I just don't know about it?

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Geez, I couldn’t wait for it to fade away in the 80’s, it was everywhere. There was all this worry then that the synthesizer was going to replace the guitar, but instead there were sax solos all over the place. The most annoying one was on Glen Frey’s “You Belong To The City”, but then again anything having to with The Eagles was annoying(yes, I’m on Team Dude). It was a holdover from the 70’s, when there was a lot of 50’s vibe coming back, I assume because that was the childhood of many players then.
    Andy Mackay with Roxy Music was perfect for them, and even though Bowie wasn’t a great player, what he did added some flavor, whereas David Sanborn on “Young Americans” didn’t do much for me, a perfect example of that 70’s cliche stuff. With the Kenny G thing, yes the sax became the signature sound of all that tepid smooth jazz.
    Sax certainly got a boost when that ‘swing’ revival came and went in the 90’s, but it’s slipped off to the realm of esoterica since fewer people want to use real instruments. I don’t hate sax at all, in fact I love rowdy honking stuff from Little Richard to King Curtis to The Sonics, and all the out, shrieking psychotic jazz from Coltrane to Brotzman and beyond, but that ain’t pop. It was always huge in the ska revival. Matt Morrish with the current English Beat lineup is a monster, and I saw jazzer Kamasi Washington a couple of years ago, he was great.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

wow, not sure how to respond reading your OP, and then Michedelic 's post, but: sax didn't go anywhere! there has been great sax-based/oriented (or spiced/flavored) music since the beginning of time. :D

TBH: my POV is no doubt skewed toward (and in favor of) sax because i've rarely played in a band that didn't have one (or two, or three, or more). and add some brass to get the full-on, real-deal, funk, jump, and jive. so i'm a fan.

my 7pc. instrumental band has two great sax players who play all the common horns (bari, tenor, alto, soprano). we play a lot of jazz, of course, but we also play a lot of rock and pop, and the saxes do a great job of conveying those melodies --- instead of voice. and with a trumpet/flugel added: a 3pc. horn section can deliver a bunch of good stuff.

not sure if life is worth living without some great sax! :laugh:

4. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    That sounds like a blast, JRA!

JRA likes this.
  5. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Nice stuff here - the soprano fits so well... I happen to have the same keyboard that Max is playing, and need to practice <c:

6. evMWidpiRow04uzigco8XvS01_i-D09MwaSjA_sbVyc.jpg

BassGuyFL, QRanc, Need Gigs and 26 others like this.
  7. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    The band I was in for many years had a sax player for a couple of years. She only quit because she was our guitar player's wife and they wanted to start a family.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    They kinda disappeared when the "Lethal Weapon" franchise dried-up.

Riis

9. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    If I hear that break from Baker Street one more time...

BassGuyFL, Haroldo, DirtDog and 9 others like this.
  10. Honestly the sax solo on Danger Zone is pretty much the greatest musical achievement humanity has ever known.

QRanc and Bassaga like this.
  11. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    God I hope it doesn’t come back...

now is the time of the key-tar.....

20DC722E-033B-4C40-B7E0-59F9D3D6892E.jpeg

12. Oddly enough, he's playing doghouse in his own trio now, after a great major league career.

5J6e.gif

13. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro

chanson, CGramazio, Jefus and 6 others like this.
  14. This guy ruined it...

15. Always loved that song

wardak, equill and BarfanyShart like this.
  16. Is that Tony Iommi?????

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    The best sax lead ever recorded!

18. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I actually played with a trad jazz outfit called Safe Sax many years ago. They were very good! I was going to keep asking "is it safe?" but I wasn't sure if they would get it.

CGramazio likes this.
  19. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013

markjazzbassist, JRA and jerry like this.
  20. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had a college professor that had a jazz band by that name in the US!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021