1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's all this which is better????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keatz, Feb 13, 2020.

1. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I'm going to have a little rant here.....
    I'm really tired of questions asking or people stating what is better. X7 or AO? VT or BDDI? B3k or vmt? Empress or cali76? So on and so on.
    With reasonable/relative comparisons there is no better. Just different. Tell us what sound/tone you are after, and we can tell you what's suits your situation best. Enough of this what IS better, and more what SUITS me better.
    Ok I'm done. Thanks.

SamPerdisian, db59, Nomogram and 6 others like this.
  2. The worst part about "Which is better?" threads is that they always end up as 10 pages of people arguing semantics, reinforcing their opinions. So even IF I have a suggestion based off of the info, I won't even bother getting involved.

DJ Bebop and keatz like this.
  3. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I'm hoping this is one thread that everyone can agree on. But I'm sure someone will feel attacked hah.

DJ Bebop and Pizza1988 like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There is a "to you" implied. We're all asking for opinions here, not facts. So it is IMPLIED that the question is "What's better TO YOU"?

It's a silly thing to get bent out of shape over. ;)

5. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    The "opinions not facts" point is a good one. Maybe I'm reading things in a too direct way. I'm not getting bent out of shape, but what is better, square or circle? Hah. I'm still sleeping just fine.

db59 likes this.
  6. I can agree with this, however, this is the internet where very specific, crystal clear, descriptive topics are often misunderstood. So anyone who who assumes everyone (especially new members) will understand what is implied, will have a bad time.

I think the issue is just that. The responses. A thread from someone new to bass will ask "Should I get a P or J bass? Which is better?" and 10 hostile pages later someone is arguing they should get a Stingray because tone and they hate Fender. That's when I know to steer clear :D

7. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Apparently these days not many people can make decisions on their own.
    They turn to social media and sometimes the internet to off load their decision making.

The best this or that is ALWAYS subjective.

Also consider who is giving the advice. Yes it could be Jeff Berlin or any famous player responding, it could also be the kid who just picked up a bass last week for the first time. It could also be someone that has never even touched an instrument.

Just being able to type in a forum is the only requirement to respond.
    Dirk

8. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Triangle.

catcauphonic and keatz like this.
  9. I thought this was TheGearPage.net --- bassists can't tell which is better, you can ask TheGearPage -- they can always tell which is better.

Kidding.... but, seriously - "which is better" doesn't even exist here at TalkBass like it does on TheGearPage. TGP not only CAN, but does get out of hand quite often.

jimfist and keatz like this.
  10. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Ok so I've woken up and kind of regret creating this thread. I know it doesn't happen often in here as apposed to other places, and upon re-reading my view came across in worse taste than I was meaning. I understand that people are just after opinions. I just don't think it's right to say one product is better than another in general without stating a target.

Moderators feel free to delete this thread if it is in ill taste, but I never meant it like that. I will never post after a few drinks again.
    Love you all.

11. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

equill likes this.
  12. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    When in doubt, carrots.

chuck65 likes this.
  13. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    True, but some stink more than others :roflmao:

alembicguy likes this.
  14. So, what’s the best bass for metal?

SactoBass and RhynoRock like this.
  15. Tom Kinter

Tom Kinter Supporting Member

I dunno... if I compare all the information that's here on BT vs the rest of what's available online / here in the information age... (much of it professionally copy-written [trust me I've been there])...

I mean if you take as the baseline that 90% of everything is BS, then I find that TB does WAY better than that. Reading through so many well-expressed OPINIONS, it isn't too hard to separate out the crank, the partisan, the glib, the irrelevant, etc, and once you do, you get real-life opinions from people who care about the bass; opinions that will sometimes sync with your own experience & visions, & enlighten you in your quest.

It's about as honest as you get in this world of the future, is it not?

Nomogram and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. Trouble is, to you maybe just that, to you. After I've tried a, to you, suggestions I find at least 75%
    of the time, it's not, for me. Whether it's argued at ad nauseam as, it's the best on the planet, to you :D

Tom Kinter likes this.
  17. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I think “they always end up as 10 pages of people arguing semantics, reinforcing their opinions“ accurately describes the majority of all TB threads!

18. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    if you’d come to me first I could have told you which is best! F..k better.

19. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I am thinking that when myself has asked opinion's on a product, it is for buyer information, with electronics it’s not always easy to return an item with buyer’s remorse be it new or a used item, and when I look too purchase an item I like to hear the reviews and thoughts from other Bass players her, not the youtube pimping vids that make all gear sound great.

When I am making a decision to spend bucks on an item and I can get an updated better item for a few bucks – or less from the sharing of info here on T/B so keep on asking “what better folks” I like to think people will use common sense on these reviews.

My $0.02

DJ Bebop likes this.
  20. Tom Kinter

Tom Kinter Supporting Member

OK, I'm just sayin' that 25% good information is as good or better as you get anywhere these days... plus it's much easier here to get TO that good info; there are so many people here who are honest and dedicated, that you do in fact find sync POV's. I wish the world outside TB were otherwise, and if I were king...

DJ Bebop likes this.