1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's better for slapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TurtleBAQ, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TurtleBAQ

TurtleBAQ

Jan 21, 2012
    Rosewood or Maple?

2. Definitely

Definitely Banned

carrots

3. TurtleBAQ

TurtleBAQ

Jan 21, 2012
    Then my dogs would eat it.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Most people, including me, will say maple. But the truth is it doesn't matter.

5. TurtleBAQ

TurtleBAQ

Jan 21, 2012
    Ah thanks. Because I hear Maple every now and then. So I think I'm going to with maple.

6. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I have rosewood, my friend has maple. I tryed both and I can't tell the difference xD
    If I were you I would go with the carrots ..and keep it away from your dogs ;)

7. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    As long as it has no more than 20 frets :)

8. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    The cliche answer IMO would be maple. I have always wanted a maple board for that reason.

But, there is a big (and legitimate) argument that if it is a fretted bass, the fret board wood, has VERY little to do with tone.

So, as previously posted, I would say maple but it really doesn't matter.

9. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    ... someone who deserves it (vs. someone who doesn't).

10. I've had more basses that slapped better that had maple boards than rosewood.

But I think that may just be a coincidence.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Come to think of it, me too. Maybe we were right all along and then got all of these crazy talkbassers to make us believe there isn't any difference. :) I changed my mind. Maple. Definitely. But don't give me any 'guess which wood' sound tests.

I always prefer maple necks.

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I just posted this in another thread and it's still on my clip board so here -- straight from Marcus Miller's FAQ on his website:

Maplewood is a good deal harder than the other common woods used for bass necks (ebony, rosewood, etc). The sound from a maple neck is harder than the others. I think my thumbing sound would be significantly different without the maple. For finger style I actually prefer a softer wood (rosewood usually) but, if I'm only using one bass, I can make do with the maple.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I think ebony is actually a bit harder than maple and would also be a very good choice.

I've never really cared for rosewood personally. I think I can hear a difference between rosewood and harder maple/ebony, but sometimes we hear what we are told we should hear. You would have been better off trusting your ears before you got this information to cloud your perception.

Perhaps you should try out different basses blindfolded and buy the one that gives you the tone you want.

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I don't need Marcus Miller to tell me that Maple is brighter and snappier than rosewood, but thanks for the tip.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    That is not the point I intended to make. Apologies.

16. I lol'd.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The bass you like better and practice more is better for slapping, IMHO.

18. J Bass Flats

J Bass Flats

Dec 23, 2011
    D.C. Area
    When I have the option to select woods I value feel over tone. That being said, I like maple for slap and pop.