Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats Better...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by AndersonCouncil, Jul 5, 2004.

1. AndersonCouncil

AndersonCouncil

Jul 5, 2004
    if you are recording a bass solo for a full band, what is better, Micing? or D.I

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Whatever sounds better to you, tonewise, I would think.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do both at the same time, then mix to taste.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i don't know, but can you do that really? mic the cab and do DI?

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sure, why not? That's why those big mixing consoles have gazillions of channels, 'cause people typically use up two or three tracks for a single take. If you have a Rick or an Alembic, and you're using it in stereo, it might even be five or six tracks at a time. And, if you're using effects, it might even be more. I had a guy once that was running his stereo bass into two separate amps, each of which had a stereo effects loop. We did two DI's, two directs, and four mics, for eight tracks in total. That's "per take", and we must have done eight or ten takes on just that one tune. Hard disk recorders are a wonderful thing. :)

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    rule of thumb, if you have a good mic and a bad DI go mic, if u have a bad mic go DI. Its alot cheaper to get a nice DI than it is to get a good mic that is gonna work for bass well. Its a totally different sound though. Old guys are gonna tell you theres nothing better than mic'ing a cab. I have mixed emotions. I like to do both them mix the signal, but not always 50/50.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of course. As nonsqtr said, just run the DI onto one track and mic into the other. Then mix it to taste during mixdown. You can use one or the other, or a little of each.

8. I assume you can set how much you want of each. If you like your DI tone, for example, but want some of the mic'd sound to add some dynamic, you could add just a bit of the mic'd track, right? That would be a good idea if, for example, your DI tone is a little too clean and you need some of that mic'd beef.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is the best method. You have more options at mixdown.

10. I always seem to prefer mic'd tone, but that's just me... for the last album I did I had one mic on a 4x10 and another on a 1x15...

For the one before that I had a D.I., 2 close mics on the 4x10, one on a 1x15, and one distance mic... I ended up using mostly a blend of the distance mic and one of the close mics on the 4x10.

Really though, it's all up to what you like the sound of.