1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's going on over at Devi Ever?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CrispyDelicious, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I recently ordered a Bit/Legend of Fuzz through Moog Audio. They called me back today saying Devi Ever is apparently moving and won't be able to manufacture any more of these pedals for some time. How long? No clue, the guy from Moog said they wouldn't give him an estimated date their move would be finished and production back on track.

I'm in no way complaining; I wouldn't be surprised if this move is based on cost-cutting by moving to a smaller place or something similar. I'm just wondering if anyone has any more info on this. I don't use facebook or twitter or anything, so I'm out of those loops (apparently Devi Ever is on twitter)

I just really want to support Moog and Devi Ever, and I really want my zelda noisebox, darnit!

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    If the enclosure wasn't so damn cool I'd sell you mine and build myself a clone.

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    She's moving to Austin TX cause she likes the music scene better over there or something. It's only a two-chick company so give it some time.

4. Devi posts daily over at ilovefuzz.com; try starting a thread over there, I'm sure she'll answer you.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Q: What's going on over at Devi Ever?
    A: IMO a bunch of pedals with PCBs that are covered in gaffa tape, awful soldering, dodgy grounds and that a suspiciously similar sound to each other?

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Toasted just loves brewing up bs

7. Well, this explains why I'm still waiting for my Dark Boost that I ordered in January. :meh:

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Yep, and I am pretty sure I know why. :ninja:

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's not BS. They're terribly made pedals. I've had 3 and I'm never, ever buying one again.

I can understand that there's a market for the sound that you get from these pedals, but I've always found them very inflexible, all they seem to do is wild oscillation or some pretty boring fuzz sounds.

10. I agree. I have tried 3 or 4 and they've all had the same sound, just with more or less noise.

What's up with your posting these days, Chron? You're mean! ;)

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    There was an interesting thread on Devi's forum asking if her efx sounded the same. She wondered if everyone had the same feeling. Most of the responses were yes. Even from the Devi-fanboys, they all believed to have a similarity in sound

However, they all agreed that each fuzz had something the other did not. The Cherry pop has an aggressive sound to it. The BIT has an 8-bit sound to it with a unique decay.

Build quality I find to be fine. I haven't had any problems yet and she claims that none of her pedals have been returned from manufacturing defects.

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I basically agree but I gotta say no clips of the BIT that I've heard sound remotely 8-bit.

Seems to me inevitable that a major manufacturer will respond to this "bitcrush" fad pretty soon - it should be SUPER EASY for somebody to make a compact multifunction digital bitcrusher (and yes, I realize that's a redundant term, "digital bitcrusher")

I'm thinking Boss. Do it, Roland!

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    (Boss probably already made it in the 80's, knowing them :rolleyes:)

14. I agree that a lot of the Devi fuzzes DO sound similar. That is more or less why I have settled on a few Devi's that do one specific sound and I'm pretty well set now. But they are still unique from everything else I've played. As for build quality, meh. As long as it keeps working, I couldn't give a rat's ass if the PCB looks pretty or not.

15. If I could get my Alesis Bitrman rehoused into a sturdy housing with a real stomp switch, that would rule.

16. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    exactly what I'm thinking!

they didn't - and if they HAD, it would be to their credit. They'd probably be selling for 250 a pop now!

Nice of you to give a big rolleyes to one of the main companies responsible for your paycheck :rollno:

17. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I might try one. I'm getting ideas from my co-worker about. I want to do more than just bit crush. Like some sort of octave effect as well.

18. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    wait.. so you're doing digital effects now too? beacuse as far as i'm concerned, an analog "bitcrusher" is more offensive than a digital tape delay model. It is barse-arkwards by definition

19. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I only have the Bit, but if you look inside, there are TWO circuit boards. The controls are simple. One controls how much signal enters the circuit and the other controls how much signal you let out (volume). My guess is that most of the two knob fuzz pedals are either a single board or different combinations of two circuit boards used by themselves in other pedals. The designs are all very simple but can use quite a few components.

But I'm just speculating. I only have one Devi Ever pedal and have seen schematics for a couple others.

20. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I don't have experience with A/D and D/A converters but my co-worker does. Digital is a bit more complicated since you need a clock signal. He described what could be done and it's not too complicated. I might borrow the octave trick from 4ms.