1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats' my best option?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Dec 22, 2006.

1. I apologise in advance for this question but I have used the search function and followed relevant links (the working ones) to research the information and I'm feeling like I know less than I did before :)

I want to prepare a rehearsal space at home for 4 or 5 musicians and hopefully do some home recordings through a Yamaha AW-1600 or similar recording equipment.

I have a "spare" 4x4m theatre, sunk 2 courses, that I considered using, but it's a bit on the small side, has a large glass sliding door and large windows, and is adjacent next to bedrooms and a living area.

I would need to soundproof it best I can to play at night with the kids sleeping and I can't see the room inside a room option viable and I'm not sure it's even worth bothering with that room in the end.

Another option I'm considering is to build a tin shed out the back and use that for both storing shed "stuff", and hosting the band(s) I'm in. But I'm not sure how to approach construction with a view to quitening a band down...again I don't have the time or money to invest in a floating room.

But I am curious about my options here so if any nice TB'ers don't mind chiming in with their 2 cents on the subject, and maybe some handy links, I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Regards,

Andy

2. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    There's no real magic way you can *really* soundproof a room outside of the room in a room method. Even then the results may not yield what you desire depending on the rest of your enclosing structure and the materials used.

The drummer of my band built a room in his basement using multiple layers of drywall on decoupled wall joints, floating the floor and ceiling lined with mass-loaded vinyl, etc... the works for a home practice area. Even with all that, you can still hear when we play throughout the house. Granted it only sounds like a stereo is playing somewhere at a reasonable volume (and a bit quieter outside), and not a cranked band, but it's not *really* soundproof.

A lot of stuff you can read here:
    http://www.soundproofing.org/

Good luck.
    ---
    c