1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats the best action setup for slap bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MR_Reitz, Jul 30, 2012.

1. MR_Reitz

MR_Reitz

Jul 30, 2012
    I have been learning a lot of slap style songs and was looking for the ideal action to make playing in this style more effortless. I know the action should be as low as possible, but it's hard to find any measurements for the action. Does anyone have a setup that they have found that is good for playing victor wooten/marcus miller/les claypool style bass? My current bass i'm using is a Ray34 Sterling by MusicMan. The action on the D and G seem fine but the heavier strings E and A still seem a little high when i get up past the 12th fret.

2. thtbassloser

thtbassloser

Aug 28, 2010
    Make sure your truss rod is straigh to !! if the action is getting high it could be due to bridge or truss rod, also you slap up to the twelth fret?

Personally i prefer about 7/32ths of an inch, although sugguested is 3/32nds, i gotta stingray, to so i prefer the action a little higher. although im thinking of lowering my action a tad just to see how my playing improves. (this was measured at the 17th fret)

3. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
  4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Super low seems to work well. Light strings too, and a fairly straight neck. my 2 centavos

5. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Should be noted that Sadowsky measures action on 12th fret with the strings fretted at first position. I set my action this way with 2mm at 12th, and it works out to ~2.5mm at 17th fret with open string.